[comp.edu] Campus computing

levy@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA (David C Levy) (03/05/91)

Dear netters

I am looking for ideas, pointers, discussions on the major issues for
campus computing for the '90's.  Any and all comment will be appreciated.

Some points:
   computer literacy among non technical students
   use of CAI - has the fad died, will it come back to life?
   campus networking - is a mainframe part of the scenario?
   information systems - on line assistance to academics
   multimedia - how will it affect teaching?
   -- your favourite topic!

Look forward to a lively discussion

David

--
David C Levy               levy@bertha.ee.und.ac.za
Dept of Electronic Eng     m2xenix!quagga!levy%undeeb@uunet.uu.net

freewill@nstar.rn.com (Bill Williston) (03/10/91)

levy@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA (David C Levy) writes:
> Dear netters
> I am looking for ideas, pointers, discussions on the major issues for
> campus computing for the '90's.  Any and all comment will be appreciated.
> Some points:
>    computer literacy among non technical students
Greetings Natal,  Great just communicating with you.  Why not instruct th
well in operating computer with practical software.
>    campus networking - is a mainframe part of the scenario?
You may need mainframe for campus administration, why not devote some
memory and processing to student projects.
     Stand alone labs work well for most applications if the cost of
main frame too expensive.   I teach high school in a 21-station stand
alone lab.  Networks require maintenence....
>    multimedia - how will it affect teaching?
National Geographic Society has devoted time and money in this direction.

> David C Levy               levy@bertha.ee.und.ac.za
> Dept of Electronic Eng     m2xenix!quagga!levy%undeeb@uunet.uu.net
> University of Natal        levy%bertha.ee.und.ac.za@saqqara.cis.ohio-state.ed

--
Bill Williston                       NSTAR conferencing site 219-289-0287
internet: freewill@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines