[comp.edu] student OS projects

parker@vienna.njit.edu (Bruce Parker) (03/19/91)

What are other schools using as an operating system project?  The
level of difficulty should presume a knowledge of Silberschatz,
Peterson, and Galvin or the equivalent.

We have been using both Kifer and Smolka's OSP and Comer's Xinu.  I am
not really satisfied with either, since the student misses out on many
other interesting issues.  In particular they include nothing about
virtual memory or signals.  It would also be nice if the system ran on
a PC.

Cheers,
Bruce Parker
4314 Infotech   				(201) 596-3369
Computer and Information Science Department 	parker@vienna.njit.edu
New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, New Jersey  07102 USA

--
Bruce Parker
4314 Infotech   				(201) 596-3369
Computer and Information Science Department 	parker@vienna.njit.edu
New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, New Jersey  07102 USA

parker@homer.njit.edu (Bruce Parker) (03/20/91)

On Mar 19,  1:27pm, kifer@sbcs.sunysb.edu wrote:
}
} >>	Message-ID: <2657@njitgw.njit.edu>
}
} >>	We have been using both Kifer and Smolka's OSP and Comer's Xinu.  I am
} >>	not really satisfied with either, since the student misses out on many
} >>	other interesting issues.  In particular they include nothing about
} >>	virtual memory or signals.
}
} I would like to point out that your message is inaccurate, to say the least.
} OSP does have virtual memory and does include signals (although signals are
} not like in UNIX, but rather as in IBM mainframe).
} I would appreciate if you clarify your statement.
}
} thanx
} michael

Which is what I deserve for writing the original posting in a hurry.
I had in mind a comparison with Xinu and Minix, not OSP, though in my
ignorance, I now may be insulting both Comer and Tanenbaum as well.

Anyway, I was only fishing for alternatives.  I'm sorry for the
misstatements.

Cheers,