[comp.edu] Re^2: Language Use

kend@data.UUCP (Ken Dickey) (03/22/91)

kemnitz@hermes.Berkeley.EDU (Greg Kemnitz) writes:
>..., and make sure their students are armed with both
>the latest in paradigms and software engineering techniques, and have a good
>understanding of languages and paradigms they are likely to encounter in
>industry.

I would like to echo the above, but point out that industrial usage changes.

I suggest using a small, high-level language (Scheme) for
introductory--and some advanced--classes followed by a high-level
assembler (C) and leave the low-tech/trailing-edge technology stuff
(C++, XWindows) for upper level courses when students can appreciate
their complexity and limitations.

-Ken Dickey				kend@data.uucp