[comp.edu] Seeking Suggestions for AI Text

mgreen@cs.toronto.edu (Marc Green) (03/22/91)

I'm looking for suggestions for a text to use in a two term AI course
that I'll be teaching next year. The class will be a broad spectrum of
cs, psych and possibly business students, so the technical level of
the book shouldn't be too tough and should not depend on any
programming language. On the other hand, some cognitive science would
be nice.

I've already ruled out Charniak and McDermott (too advanced), Rich
(too old), Nilson (too technical), Winston (I just don't like it) and
anything with "Expert System" in the title or with big sections on
lisp.

The closest thing I've found is Fischler and Firschein, but it's a bit
too light.

Suggestions appreciated. The bookstore is getting antsy.

Marc Green
Trent University

kend@data.UUCP (Ken Dickey) (03/27/91)

mgreen@cs.toronto.edu (Marc Green) writes:

>I'm looking for suggestions for a text to use in a two term AI course
>that I'll be teaching next year.

Take a look at _Programming for Artificial Intelligence: Methods,
Tools, and Applications_ by Kreutzer & McKenzie, Addison Wesley, 1991
[ISBN 0-201-41621-2].  It gives a pretty fair coverage of concepts and
includes "toolbox" code (also available on disk).  Examples are given
in Prolog, Scheme, and Smalltalk, and the book is fairly readable
overall.

If you see this as too heavyweight, look at _What Every Engineer
Should Know About AI_ (I forget the author(s)).

-Ken Dickey					kend@data.uucp