[comp.edu] SQL db software for teaching

bonak@herky.cs.uiowa.edu (Esmail Bonakdarian) (03/31/91)

I posted a similar query like this not too long ago, but only
got one or two responses. Now clearly there must be more people
using db software to teach db concepts ... so maybe I was mistaken
in narrowing my focus on db software that runs on UNIX systems (not
a requirement set in stone). With that in mind ...

Can anybody make recommendations re db software that has a SQL interface
and can be (has been) used successfully for teaching db?  I will be
teaching db this fall probably using "Fundamental of Database Systems" by
Elmasri/Navathe. A DOS based system would be fine, as would be a UNIX
based system. Cost should be reasonable (whatever that means). Please
remember that this is for teaching purposes only, so it won't necessarily
need all of the bells and whistles a full blown commercial system offers.
I am more concerned about documentation and support.

Thanks,
Esmail Bonakdarian

PS: By the way, if you have any contact phone numbers or addresses (or
    names of companies) that you think could provide suitable software
    I'd appreciate knowing them.

rob.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Robert Rittenhouse) (04/01/91)

bonak@herky.cs.uiowa.edu (Esmail Bonakdarian) writes:
  [some text deleted]
> Can anybody make recommendations re db software that has a SQL interface
> and can be (has been) used successfully for teaching db?  I will be
> teaching db this fall probably using "Fundamental of Database Systems" by
> Elmasri/Navathe. A DOS based system would be fine, as would be a UNIX
> based system. Cost should be reasonable (whatever that means). Please
> remember that this is for teaching purposes only, so it won't necessarily
> need all of the bells and whistles a full blown commercial system offers.
> I am more concerned about documentation and support.
>
> Thanks,
> Esmail Bonakdarian
  [more text deleted]
I've been using Rbase from Microrim (206) 649-9500 for my class.
It has well integrated SQL and also has forms, report and application
generators as well as QBE stuff (DOS of course).
It's $50 educational version from Microrim (translates into $65 at our
bookstore). You might like the version from Course Technology (same
software but better manual altho no tutorial) (CTI is at One Main St.
Cambridge, MA 02142).
Takes about 6 Megs of hard disk though.
Rob R.