[comp.edu] Help!

conslt16@zeus.unomaha.edu (03/24/91)

Hello,

	Anyone who has ANY information regarding Animal Laboratory testing
  that you can spare, PLEASE! PLEASE send it As SOON AS POSSIBLE!  I need it
  within the next week, AT THE Latest!!! Please,  CASE STUDIES WOULD BE
  MOST USEFUL, SHOWING ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT LABORATORY TESTING OF ANIMALS,
  PRO OR CON, I NEEDE'M RIGHT O'WAY!   ALSO,  I WILL HAVE TO USE SOME PRIME
  SOURCES, SO IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THOSE TOO, PLEASE SEND THEM. ANYTHING
  WITHOUT PROPER CREDITING OF SOURCE WILL NOT BE USED, BUT READ.

						THANKYOU IN ADVANCE,

						ALEX TOWNSEND,
				Internet: CONSLT16@ZEUS.UNOMAHA.EDU
				Bitnet:   CONSLT16@UNOMA1.BITNET

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (03/25/91)

In article <11253.27ebbbdb@zeus.unomaha.edu> conslt16@zeus.unomaha.edu writes:
>	Anyone who has ANY information regarding Animal Laboratory testing
>  that you can spare, PLEASE! PLEASE send it As SOON AS POSSIBLE!  I need it
>  within the next week, AT THE Latest!!! Please,  CASE STUDIES WOULD BE
>  MOST USEFUL, SHOWING ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT LABORATORY TESTING OF ANIMALS,
>  PRO OR CON, I NEEDE'M RIGHT O'WAY!   ALSO,  I WILL HAVE TO USE SOME PRIME
>  SOURCES, SO IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THOSE TOO, PLEASE SEND THEM. ANYTHING
>  WITHOUT PROPER CREDITING OF SOURCE WILL NOT BE USED, BUT READ.

   Why do people persist in doing this?  I noticed a posting in sci.electronics
recently, also, which was obviously asking for the answer to a homework
project.  Are students unable to do any research for themselves anymore?
--scott

jlong@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (John Long) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Mar25.142936.21295@news.larc.nasa.gov> kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) writes:
>In article <11253.27ebbbdb@zeus.unomaha.edu> conslt16@zeus.unomaha.edu writes:
>>	Anyone who has ANY information regarding Animal Laboratory testing
>>  that you can spare, PLEASE! PLEASE send it As SOON AS POSSIBLE!  I need it
>>  within the next week, AT THE Latest!!! Please,  CASE STUDIES WOULD BE
>>  MOST USEFUL, SHOWING ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT LABORATORY TESTING OF ANIMALS,
>>  PRO OR CON, I NEEDE'M RIGHT O'WAY!   ALSO,  I WILL HAVE TO USE SOME PRIME
>>  SOURCES, SO IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THOSE TOO, PLEASE SEND THEM. ANYTHING
>>  WITHOUT PROPER CREDITING OF SOURCE WILL NOT BE USED, BUT READ.
>
>   Why do people persist in doing this?  I noticed a posting in sci.electronics
>recently, also, which was obviously asking for the answer to a homework
>project.  Are students unable to do any research for themselves anymore?
>--scott

Scott, the subject of the article, the SHOUTING!!, the choice of newsgroups
used, the deadline of next week,... Pretty funky indeed.

But.....

What is this net for anyway? This student IS doing research. You can go
to a library and cruise the stacks, copying from the work of others, you
can write to researchers, interview people, do experiments yourself, or
post a question to the net. What difference does it make? Are you suggesting
that this students, in order "to do research for themselves" must actually
go and do laboratory testing on animals in order to do a report on the
subject?

You picked an extreme example, and your point is well taken. But perhaps
the student in question needs a gentle reminder of the customs of the net.

The student was indeed using the net for its intended purpose!

You and I are using the net to blow off.

Aloha,
LongJohn

vancleef@iastate.edu (Van Cleef Henry H) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Mar25.142936.21295@news.larc.nasa.gov> kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) writes:
>In article <11253.27ebbbdb@zeus.unomaha.edu> conslt16@zeus.unomaha.edu writes:
>>	Anyone who has ANY information regarding Animal Laboratory testing
>>  that you can spare, PLEASE! PLEASE send it As SOON AS POSSIBLE!  I need it
>>  within the next week, AT THE Latest!!! Please,  CASE STUDIES WOULD BE
>>  MOST USEFUL, SHOWING ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT LABORATORY TESTING OF ANIMALS,
>>  PRO OR CON, I NEEDE'M RIGHT O'WAY!   ALSO,  I WILL HAVE TO USE SOME PRIME
>>  SOURCES, SO IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THOSE TOO, PLEASE SEND THEM. ANYTHING
>>  WITHOUT PROPER CREDITING OF SOURCE WILL NOT BE USED, BUT READ.
>
>   Why do people persist in doing this?  I noticed a posting in sci.electronics
>recently, also, which was obviously asking for the answer to a homework
>project.  Are students unable to do any research for themselves anymore?
>--scott
Why people "persist" in doing this is that the net is a good resource.
The particular post, with its shouting and general panicky tone is
somewhat overdone.
Scott, allow me to suggest that you search the list of newsgroups for
groups that might be applicable to animal testing, to read them, and
then to prepare (offline) a query to post in one, two, or (at the most)
three groups.  Preparing offline will allow you to edit your post, check
for spelling and typographic errors.  Make sure that all of your E-mail
return addresses are included in your post.
You will, no doubt, receive some number of sleazy comments from the net
jackals who know absolutely everything.  But you if you take care to
project a genuine interest in the topic, and a desire to do some
scholarly study---or to learn how to do so---you will get help.

To those who wish to flame, I can only suggest that "comp.edu" can be
used to "educate." The term "learner" is used by some academic
institutions in place of "student."  Here we have a learner,  let us
take a moment to help him (in this case) "learn."

Hank van Cleef
vancleef@iastate.edu	Iowa State University, Ames. Ia.
tmn!vancleef		The Union Institute, Cincinnati, Oh.