[comp.edu] C text

bonak@herky.cs.uiowa.edu (Esmail Bonakdarian) (04/04/91)

I am looking for recommendations for a C text. Up to now our system
only supported K&R C (i.e., Pre-ANSI) and we used the first edition
of K&R. However I do not think that this is a good introductory book
for C. I have been looking to get ANSI C on our system and rather than
going to the second edition of K&R I am now looking for a different text.

I recently received a copy of "C A Software Engineering Approach" by
Darnell and Margolis (Springer Verlag) and it looks pretty good. Does
anybody have any experience with this book (or can recommend any other
book) for an introductory course in programming with C?

Thanks,
Esmail

duncan@cs.strath.ac.uk (Duncan N Smeed) (04/08/91)

In article <5254@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> bonak@herky.cs.uiowa.edu (Esmail Bonakdarian) writes:

>I recently received a copy of "C A Software Engineering Approach" by
>Darnell and Margolis (Springer Verlag) and it looks pretty good. Does
>anybody have any experience with this book (or can recommend any other
>book) for an introductory course in programming with C?

I have been using this book for a third year class for the past
three years.  Although not an introductory class (the students
have already done two years of Pascal) in programming it is
suitable as a 'conversion' text.  Since you used to use K&R I
assume your students are being 'converted' too ;-).

In fact, I have been using the first edition which was called 'Software
Engineering in C' and it would appear that the second edition is
really just a book title change which more accurately relects the
tenet of the book.  I.e. it's not really a text about software
engineering at all.

I looked at innumerable text books on C before deciding on this
one.  I like it for a number of reasons.  Firstly it covered ANSI
C (remember I adopted it 3 years ago) by means of 'greyed-out'
boxes of ANSI Features contrasting the K&R standard.  Secondly, it
offers Bug Alert 'boxes' that highlight common mistakes made by
novice (and even experienced ;-)) C programmers.  Thirdly, it is
obviously written by expert C programmers yet in a style which
allows anyone familiar with another high-level language to
'convert' relatively painlessly.  Fourthly, the authors have
provided a full listing of a C Interpreter in an Appendix that
serves to reinforce the concepts that they have been expounding.
Fifthly, the students' copies rapidly become 'dog-eared'
suggesting that they refer to the book constantly and their
feedback on the text has been favourable.  Finally, it is good
value for money with over 600 pages at a reasonable price.

In short, thoroughly recommended.

>Thanks,
>Esmail

My pleasure,
		Duncan

--
UUCP:  ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!strath-cs!duncan  | Dept. Computer Science
ARPA:  duncan%cs.strath.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa    | Livingstone Tower, 26 Richmond St