[net.unix-wizards] 4.2BSD on uVaxII ??

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (05/09/85)

Anybody run 4.2 on a Micro-Vax II?

Were there any problems getting it up ( :-) )?

Or with uVaxI for that matter?

We're likely to be getting one soon and want to know what to run on it.
Any ideas on *real* performance?

Any other questions you'd like to answer?
--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david<@ANL-MCS> or david%ukma.uucp@anl-mcs.arpa

	"The home of poly-unsaturated thinking".

dave@uwvax.UUCP (Dave Cohrs) (05/11/85)

We have uVaxI's and run (basically) Ultrix on them.  However, we have not
refrained from adding local fixes to this and have replaced the Ultrix
networking code with our very-hacked networking code.  There are a number
of little differences between the uVaxI and a real Vax (like, lots of
intructions are emulated).  The closest thing in 'real' vax land is the 730.

The uVaxI is slow.  Period.  However, DEC didn't promise speed on it, so...
The biggest problem is the disk.  Next is the Qbus memory.  The memory
problem is supposed to be better on the uVaxII (rumor).  I have also
heard that the uVaxII is 70-80% a 780 in raw processor speed.  There are
a couple problems with the current Ultrix release for the uVaxI (the
binary vmunix worked fine, however the source seems to be a bit older),
but we are hoping that these will be fixed with the next release.  All
in all, the uVaxI isn't a bad machine, just don't expect miracles from
it.  The uVaxII should really be nicer, but I'll know more abut this in
a couple months.
--
dave cohrs
...!{allegra,harvard,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!dave

    (bug?  what bug?  that's a feature!)

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (05/13/85)

I guess what I am more or less confused about is, why are people buying
microvaxes? I can think of only a few reasons:

	1. You run VMS, so you got no choices (you fool.)
	2. DEC is giving them to you for free or nearly (good reason.)
	3. You have significant applications that require
	the architecture specifically (macro code, q-bus periphs)
	4. You have great expectations for the box.

Seems from my analysis they are slower and more expensive than similar
68K boxes and promise to remain so for years, especially I/O (rumour has
it that some of the 68020s will be approaching the compute speed of the
8600 for about 2% (20K/1M) the price this fall.) Other 32-bit processors
(3B2 etc) have a similar outlook.

Please, systems administration type responses, I'm really curious.  We
can probably save the 'service' claims, this is always contradictory,
especially when DEC loves to tell you they can't fix it cuz it's UNIX.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

snoopy@ecrcvax.UUCP (Sebastian Schmitz) (05/13/85)

I will have a good look at a MicroVax 2 soon: its got its
world-premiere here in Munich tomorrow.

Watch this space for details.
--
  Love,
  Sebastian (Snoopy)

"You haven't done it, till you've done it with pointers !"

( \!mcvax\!unido\!ecrcvax\!snoopy ) /* N.B. valid csh address */

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (05/13/85)

In article <> root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:
>I guess what I am more or less confused about is, why are people buying
>microvaxes? I can think of only a few reasons:
>
>	1. You run VMS, so you got no choices (you fool.)
>	2. DEC is giving them to you for free or nearly (good reason.)
>	3. You have significant applications that require
>	the architecture specifically (macro code, q-bus periphs)
>	4. You have great expectations for the box.
>
>Seems from my analysis they are slower and more expensive than similar
>68K boxes and promise to remain so for years, especially I/O (rumour has
>it that some of the 68020s will be approaching the compute speed of the
>8600 for about 2% (20K/1M) the price this fall.) Other 32-bit processors
>(3B2 etc) have a similar outlook.

	But MicroVaxen aren't really that uncompetitive. The MicroVAX I
is slow, but so are many 68000 boxes. Using a series of Unix system benchmarks,
the MicroVAX I running Ultrix-32m was neck and neck with the Callan. The
Callan was faster in incrementing an int, but the MicroVAX I was faster at
nroff, and thats what I care about. MicroVAX I and the Callan are similarly
priced but with the MicroVAX you get VAX binary compatibility, 4.2BSD with
Ethernet capability, and a wide range of Qbus peripherals to chose from.
AT&T's 3B2 is in the same ballpark and it just as slow or slower.
	More expensive 68000 boxes like the Masscomp are faster but much more
expensive. Meanwhile the MicroVAX II has almost 11/780 performance at under
$20000. Its been said before: there is a major difference between chip
performance and system performance. The 68000 chip is quite a performer, but
I don't believe that your average $10000 68000 box delivers half that
performance. You always lose in disk, memory management, floating point and
communications.

snoopy@ecrcvax.UUCP (Sebastian Schmitz) (05/15/85)

Hello my avid ones,
this is a newsflash from ECRC's reporter on the new DEC
MicroVAX ][ machine:it had its world premiere in Munich.
In the beginning this looked quite nice.

The new MicroVAX ][ is the latest VAX: its a single chip VAX
(so they say) and its claimed to have 80% of the power of a
780. Its meant to support up to 48 users but typically it will
be less.

Price wise it seems competitive: an MV ][ with a dual floppy
amd integral streamer cassette tape (95 MB), 2MB Ram, 71 MB
winchester and Ethernet interface will cost less than DM 100k.
(For B-movie actor fans this means about US$ 30k)

The backplane will support two controllers for discs but the
floppy drive and tape drive are included so you can presently
have at most 3 * RD 53 (@ 71MB each = 121 MB) in there with everything
else. Why on earth will two controllers only support five
discs ? 2.5 discs/controller doesn't look right somehow. In
other words I don't know.

The actual architecture: its a full VAX but of course no PDP11
compatibility mode. Its a Q-Bus machine and the memory is on a
special 32bit bus. This is different to the MV I which had a
dual ported memory used by the CPU and the I/O stuff via the
Q-Bus. This was one of the reasons why the MV I was/is so
dreadfully slow. The MV ][ cures this with the special bus (but
I wonder what happens when those dreaded DMA devices come
along).

The $64,000 question: what about UNIX. Well needless to say not
4.2 (due to lack of Q-Bus device drivers) but rather ULTRIX 32m
(for MicroVAX). DEC claim that ULTRIX is already working
(without the problems the MV I had - ho, ho ho. :-) ) and
available. They also claim to have invested more than us$15
million into ULTRIX last year. This sounds amazing. The few
changes they made to 4.2 certainly don't seem like they cost 15
* 10^6 dollars - but then of course DEC may pay *very* good
salaries ( we bow our head in silence for those trampled in the
mad rush for DEC personnel office :-) )

The even more astounding claim was that they claim that VMS is
faster than 4.2. I nearly fainted. After the room has stopped
spinning, I managed to gasp that so far I have spoken to many
people and I know of at least two sites who
have thrown out VMS (on 780's) and taken in UNIX because of
speed. That is a *lot* of work and that must say something
about how much is to be gained in the process. They
also claim that the DEC Ada (what !?!) is the
fastest Ada around. Thats nice but who wants *d* anyway ? DEC
want to invest heavily into compiler construction. They want to
produce better FORTRAN and COBOL compilers. AAARGGGhhhhh...I
nearly lost the buffet lunch...

They also claim that the MV ][ is faster
than any 680X0 (x= set of 0,1,2) machine on the market or in
fact any other 32-bit single chip product. This may be true but
I've put it into the 'extortionate claims' list because it sure
sounds like one. It may also be true because there simply are
not a lot of 68020 systems on the market at this moment.
Actually I couldn't think of any offhand, HELP !!

The MV I will die by the end of the year. Its not surprising.
I won't miss it.

The above opinions are absolutely my own and please imagine
the usual footnotes here:

Now to answer the question: why would people want such machine ?
Well I used to work for a DEC distributor here in Germany and I
was told by someone from DEC that they have one customer in the
US who does seismic exploration and that he's always getting
annoyed because his software people slow down the 'big VAX'
(then a 780) which should only run the seismic analysis
software. So he went out and bought an MV I for everyone of his
developers. I presume he got massive discounts because he
certainly didn't get speed. Mind you it did take a load off the
big VAX. I feel the only reason to get such a machine is when
you want to write assembly language progs which are binary
portable within the VAX range. Ahh but then are they ? How
about system calls,etc.

Perhaps we should get something going in net.flame but then I
don't get that so you'll just have to bear this trite.

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (Wayne A. Christopher) (05/15/85)

> I guess what I am more or less confused about is, why are people buying
> microvaxes? I can think of only a few reasons:

You've left out the major advantage, which is that they are VAXes. Binary
compatibility is useful to have.

	Wayne

jack@boring.UUCP (05/15/85)

In article <92@ecrcvax.UUCP> snoopy@ecrcvax.UUCP (Sebastian Schmitz) writes:
>The $64,000 question: what about UNIX. Well needless to say not
>4.2 (due to lack of Q-Bus device drivers) but rather ULTRIX 32m
>(for MicroVAX).

You've got me confused here. What's the difference between Q-bus
device drivers and unibus device drivers?
As far as I know, all the XXV-99 interfaces by DEC are software
compatible with their unibus XX-99 brothers, or am I missing
something here?
Are there problems with unibus maps/qbus maps, or is something
else the problem?

--
	Jack Jansen, jack@mcvax.UUCP
	The shell is my oyster.

andrew@stc.UUCP (Andrew Macpherson) (05/16/85)

In article <391@bu-cs.UUCP> root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:
>I guess what I am more or less confused about is, why are people buying
>microvaxes? I can think of only a few reasons:
>
>	1. You run VMS, so you got no choices (you fool.)

	I've just been to the London launch, we were promised that
	Ultrix 32m was available now.  On the other hand I came away
	with the impression that until the qda50 was available,
	forget it for multi-user applications.  (this wasn't what DEC
	were saying, rather what they were not saying).

	The configuration as a workstation with a small disk + ether
	board would suit me at work, but I suspect there are cheaper
	(?Sun?) ways to the same end.

	As an aside I find "vaxes" hard to say, what about "vaxen"
	(it even sounds more like work-horse :-)
--
Regards,
	Andrew Macpherson.	<andrew@stc.UUCP>

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (05/17/85)

In article <391@bu-cs.UUCP>, root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:
> I guess what I am more or less confused about is, why are people buying
> microvaxes? I can think of only a few reasons:
>
> 	1. You run VMS, so you got no choices (you fool.)

Sorry, we don't do that ...

> 	2. DEC is giving them to you for free or nearly (good reason.)

Not this either ... NSF grant.

> 	3. You have significant applications that require
> 	the architecture specifically (macro code, q-bus periphs)

Actually ... We have a lot of applications that are large and compute
bound (Macsyma comes to mind).  They don't need bus bandwidth that much.
(i.e. we won't run ingres on this machine, or not much anyway).

> 	4. You have great expectations for the box.

Yes ... I expect the CPU to be most of a -780.  And for a tiny fraction
of the cost.  Enabling us to buy a number of these machines.

> Seems from my analysis they are slower and more expensive than similar
> 68K boxes and promise to remain so for years, especially I/O (rumour has
> it that some of the 68020s will be approaching the compute speed of the
> 8600 for about 2% (20K/1M) the price this fall.) Other 32-bit processors
> (3B2 etc) have a similar outlook.

The problem with 68K machines is that there aren't any *real* versions
of Unix available for them yet.  Ask again in a couple of weeks though.
We have the Motorola port of System V that AT&T is distributing.  And
are trying to get it to work on a compupro 68K machine.  Then we'll be
able to say how good it is.  But with System V we don't have ethernet
capability off the shelf.  Not like we do with a uVaxII running 4.2.
At least that's the hope.

Actually I'd like to see a 68020 machine that runs as fast as you claim.
I'd like to port 4.2 to it.  It'd be a screaming machine.

> especially when DEC loves to tell you they can't fix it cuz it's UNIX.
HA!  See my posting the other day about the rev 7 upgrade? :-)
--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david@ANL-MCS.ARPA or ukma!david<@ANL-MCS>
---	   or david%ukma.uucp@anl-mcs.arpa
---        Or even anlams!ukma!david@ucbvax.arpa
--- UUCP-> {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,oddjob}!anlams!ukma!david
---        {ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!cbosgd!ukma!david

	"It's *Super*User* to the rescue!"

sasaki@harvard.ARPA (Marty Sasaki) (05/18/85)

At the local microVAX-II demo/technical presentation someone from MIT
who was a field test site mentioned that when running Macsyma the
microVAX-II ran faster than a VAX-11/780. The numbers that DEC gave for
ULTRIX-32m showed that the microVAX ran faster in general than the 780,
up to about 10% with "average" (whatever that means) workloads.

I think that this was with lots of memory since the i/o is currently
very slow.

When asked whether the microVAX-II was going to limit 750 and 780 sales,
the DEC guy admitted that it would, but that it was better for DEC if
people bought microVAXen rather than the competition.
--
----------------
  Marty Sasaki				net:   sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}

kaiser@jaws.DEC (Pete Kaiser, HLO2-1/N10 225-5441) (05/19/85)

Sebastian Schmitz writes about the MicroVAX II, and has some questions and
comments.  I hope I won't be the only one to reply to them, and in particular I
hope some of the MicroVAX II field test sites, and especially the ones that have
been running Ultrix-32m, will also respond.  Let me also say at the outset that
I admit that (a) I work for Digital, and (b) I think the MicroVAX II is a very
nifty engine.

> The new MicroVAX ][ is the latest VAX: its a single chip VAX
> (so they say) and its claimed to have 80% of the power of a
> 780. Its meant to support up to 48 users but typically it will
> be less.

It really is a single-chip VAX.  The chip is a double-metal NMOS chip with about
125000 transistor sites and on-board memory management.  Depending on applica-
tion, the proportion of a VAX-11/780 it represents may be up to more than 100%;
however, around 80 - 90% is a more typical range.  And I wouldn't, personally,
say that it's "meant to support up to 48 users", although you could certainly
hook that many up to it.  For years lots of people have said, in one phrasing or
another, "Wouldn't it be great to have a 780 all to myself?"  And that's what
it's for: to be a very powerful, affordable 780-class machine for a small number
of users.

> Price wise it seems competitive: an MV ][ with a dual floppy
> amd integral streamer cassette tape (95 MB), 2MB Ram, 71 MB
> winchester and Ethernet interface will cost less than DM 100k.
> (For B-movie actor fans this means about US$ 30k)

The key is "affordable".  The lowball system, which includes 2MB of memory,
disk, floppy drive, console port and Ethernet controller, is less than $19K in
quantities of 1 domestically.  The point is that it shouldn't be necessary to
spread the cost among 48 (or even 30) users to make it economical.

> The backplane will support two controllers for discs but the
> floppy drive and tape drive are included so you can presently
> have at most 3 * RD 53 (@ 71MB each = 121 MB) in there with everything
> else. Why on earth will two controllers only support five
> discs ? 2.5 discs/controller doesn't look right somehow. In
> other words I don't know.

Sebastian writes in his note about what are several different standard system
configurations.  In this paragraph he has in mind one of the ones in the BA123
cabinet, the "World Box".  Leaving aside what 3 * 71MB equals, I'll correct him
slightly as regards the U.S. domestic market: currently up to four 5-1/4-inch
form factor devices may be mounted in the BA123.  I believe the standard high-
ball configuration in the BA123 includes three RD53 Winchester disks plus a TK50
(95MB streaming cartridge tape).  There are actually five slots for devices in
the BA123, but although the power supply will drive five in steady-state opera-
tion, it won't quite stand the current surge at startup, so for now only four
are allowed.

> The actual architecture: its a full VAX but of course no PDP11
> compatibility mode. Its a Q-Bus machine and the memory is on a
> special 32bit bus. This is different to the MV I which had a
> dual ported memory used by the CPU and the I/O stuff via the
> Q-Bus. This was one of the reasons why the MV I was/is so
> dreadfully slow. The MV ][ cures this with the special bus (but
> I wonder what happens when those dreaded DMA devices come
> along).

The MicroVAX I doesn't have a dual-ported memory; the memory is on the Q-bus,
pure and simple.  This means that the CPU and I/O devices must contend for the
bus, which does indeed slow down the CPU.  The MicroVAX II's memory is off the
Q-bus entirely, but mapped to it through scatter-gather registers just as the
Unibus is mapped on macroVAXes.  This has some interesting repercussions.  The
first is "what happens when those dreaded DMA devices come along": nothing.  The
CPU can access memory at absolute full speed (6MB/sec) at the same time the Q-
bus is accessing memory at its full speed in DMA "bus hog" mode (3.3MB/sec),
because the memory's speed is 10MB/second.  In other words, the machine can
compute and do I/O both at full speed simultaneously.

The second repercussion of the memory's interaction with the Q-bus through the
scatter-gather map is that Unibus drivers have been copied off 780s and just
dropped onto the MicroVAX II ... and worked.  On Ultrix-32m.

> The $64,000 question: what about UNIX. Well needless to say not
> 4.2 (due to lack of Q-Bus device drivers) but rather ULTRIX 32m
> (for MicroVAX).

I've said it here earlier, and I'll say it again: Ultrix-32 is 4.2BSD.  The one
concession to the MicroVAX is that a rather small list of things is omitted from
Ultrix-32m (the MicroVAX release of Ultrix) to avoid using valuable disk space.
I'm sorry to say I don't remember the entire list, even though I have Ultrix-
32m, but it's nothing that bothers me much.  For instance, I can live without
on-line documentation, since I have it nearby on a shelf anyway.  And it does
seem reasonable that a Q-bus machine needs no Unibus drivers.

> [W]hy would people want such [a] machine?

Left as an exercise for the reader.

> I feel the only reason to get such a machine is when
> you want to write assembly language progs which are binary
> portable within the VAX range. Ahh but then are they ? How
> about system calls,etc.

They are.  You can take your executables from any VAX, copy them onto a MicroVAX
II and run them as is.  There's one simple exception to this rule: hardware-
dependent code.  (I trust this is no great surprise, since the same rule holds
true even among macroVAXes.)  Hardware-dependent code includes references to
privileged registers and some things about I/O -- although, as I mentioned above
about drivers, some surprising things work identically between macroVAXes and
the MicroVAX II.

I hope I've stuck sufficiently to the facts here.  Questions?  Flames?

---Pete

Kaiser%JAWS.DEC@decwrl.arpa, Kaiser%BELKER.DEC@decwrl.arpa
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-jaws!kaiser
DEC, 77 Reed Road (HLO2-1/N10), Hudson MA 01749		617/568-5441

gxm@raybed2.UUCP (GERARD MAYER) (05/21/85)

After working with BSD 4.2 on vax 750 and 780 for two years and then having
a SUN for 8 months what advantage would a uVaxII have over a SUN ? A good
tradeoff review between the two would be a real benefit to many potential
purchasers.
						Gerard Mayer
						Raytheon Research Division

						uucp  ...!linus!raybed2!gxm

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (05/21/85)

In article <> kaiser@jaws.DEC (Pete Kaiser, HLO2-1/N10 225-5441) writes:
>I've said it here earlier, and I'll say it again: Ultrix-32 is 4.2BSD.  The one
>on-line documentation, since I have it nearby on a shelf anyway.  And it does
>seem reasonable that a Q-bus machine needs no Unibus drivers.
>I hope I've stuck sufficiently to the facts here.  Questions?  Flames?

	(I do think the uVAX II is a decent machine).
	Question:

	PRECISELY, what is the difference between Ultrix-32m for the uVAX II
and the 4.2BSD source distribution from Berkeley ?

	Let me help you start the list, correct me please if I'm wrong:

	- No online documentation		\
	- No user-contributed software		 > These aren't too important
	- No UNIBUS drivers (really?)		/
	- Better error reporting, DEC-style
	- Hashed inode and linked proc queues
	- expensive source license		\
	- Emulation for missing instructions	 > These are very important
	- Bootstraps for MSCP Qbus devices	/

	Please list the real substantive differences. I am particularly
in changes to the memory management code, machine trap handling and missing
instruction emulation.

	The basic question is: What do I need to do to take a 4.2BSD
distribution tape and get a uVAX II running ? (Why not get Ultrix-32m you ask?
because I understand that the source costs $7000 to universities, furthermore,
what happens with 4.3 and 4.4 BSD ?)

	A tidbit: The uVAX II, like the uVAX I, apparently only recognizes
a small set of devices in its boot ROMS: specifically MSCP disks, MRV-11 PROM
and a DEQNA Ethernet board. This fact means that disks such as RK07, RMxx and
third party emulations will not boot on the uVAX II unless you burn a MRV-11
PROM with an appropriate boot routine or new controllers come with VAX boots
(current Qbus controllers have PDP-11 boot ROMS). Thus you must buy at least
one MSCP disk. There are currently no MSCP controllers available which
interface to SMD disks, e.g. the Eagle  (Dilog should have one in a few months
though I hear there have been legal problems).

snoopy@ecrcvax.UUCP (Sebastian Schmitz) (05/22/85)

Thank you very much Pete for setting me right on a few points
re. the MV ][. However I would like to point out that it was
DEC staff who claimed that the MV I had a dual ported memory.
I also always thought that the MV I was basically a VAX on a
Q-Bus and hence so slow. The only other machine I knew of at
the time which was a 32 bit thing (provided you allow me to say
a M68k is a 32bit machine) was the Cadmus and they do have dual
ported memory for the CPU to tick whilst the peripherals sit on
the (slower) QBus. The Cadmus is spoken of as a 'fast' machine
(whatever that means =~ a 730/750 I presume ????)

Also my remark about binary compatibility was because I was
doubtful, in how much ULTRIX for little VAXen was the same as
ULTRIX for the bigger VAXen. I do know that ULTRIX for the
Biggies is 4.2 with a few dinky bugfixes/spedups, a daemon for
the error log etc... I was just wondering how much they stuck
to ULTRIX for the smaller VAXen, because from some of the stuff
I heard on the Net, it seemed that the MV I was not that
successful in this area. But then I must say that DEC do learn
if they do something wrong. Good for you - there are not many
companies that admit as freely as DEC to the fact that "yes,
this was not so clever".

Finally the configuration with the 5 hard discs was spoken of
as possible but not recommended (for back-up reasons etc.). The
5 "secondary storage" modules per MV ][ were explained to me
somewhat peevishly as problems with the two controllers
address spaces in the QBus. This was only in passing though and
I may well have misheard. I'm sure noone mentioned the power
supply though.

Once again, thanks for the first "hard info" on this.
Now: off the net for further chat. We can gladly converse
individually.

Incidentally I do agree that the MV ][ should not have 48
terminals on it. But then DEC in the US always knows a lot more
than DEC Germany about new machines etc.. Sigh. Wish you were
here (sorry Pink Floyd :-))
--

wan@gacsr.UUCP (Peter N. Wan) (05/23/85)

In article <136@harvard.ARPA> sasaki@harvard.UUCP (Marty sasaki) writes:
>When asked whether the microVAX-II was going to limit 750 and 780 sales,
>the DEC guy admitted that it would, but that it was better for DEC if
>people bought microVAXen rather than the competition.
>  Marty Sasaki				net:   sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}

Our DEC guy said that the difference would be that the 750 is clusterable,
but that uVAX-II is not now, and probably not ever going to be
clusterable.
--
Peter N Wan
BELL  : (404) 586-9663 [office] / (404) 355-6208 [home]

> ... what advantage would a uVaxII have over a SUN ? A good
> tradeoff review between the two would be a real benefit to many potential
> purchasers.

Well, I can guess at one tradeoff right off the bat:  if you thought that
ordering from Sun gave you a good chance to practice patient waiting, just
try ordering a new highly-popular machine from Dec!  I haven't heard about
uVaxII deliveries, but I do know that the ETA on an 11/24 ordered just
after announcement was a full year.  Our 11/44 -- ordered not long after the
machine was announced -- took about 4 months, and that was quick:  the
configuration we ordered did not have much memory, which sped things up.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

jim@mcvax.UUCP (Jim McKie) (05/26/85)

In article <5621@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
    > ... what advantage would a uVaxII have over a SUN ? A good
    > tradeoff review between the two would be a real benefit to many potential
    > purchasers.

    Well, I can guess at one tradeoff right off the bat:  if you thought that
    ordering from Sun gave you a good chance to practice patient waiting, just
    try ordering a new highly-popular machine from Dec!  I haven't heard about
    uVaxII deliveries, but I do know that the ETA on an 11/24 ordered just
    after announcement was a full year.  Our 11/44 -- ordered not long after the
    machine was announced -- took about 4 months, and that was quick:  the
    configuration we ordered did not have much memory, which sped things up.
    --
    				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

I also ordered an 11/24 in Scotland just after it was announced, took less
3 months to arrive (another month for the Unibus-map module).

I don't know what the delivery times of uVaxes are, but DEC have always been
in the correct ballpark for other Vaxes we've ordered. The first SUN's we
ordered took 18 months for all the parts to arrive, the recent ones (after
they'd set up their European organisation) took something like 6 (but they
still aren't working properly yet...).

--jim

In article <400@rna.UUCP> dan@rna.UUCP ( Ts'o) writes:

>	PRECISELY, what is the difference between Ultrix-32m for the uVAX II
>and the 4.2BSD source distribution from Berkeley ?
>
>	Let me help you start the list, correct me please if I'm wrong:
>
>	- No online documentation		\
>	- No user-contributed software		 > These aren't too important
>	- No UNIBUS drivers (really?)		/
>	- Better error reporting, DEC-style
>	* Hashed inode and linked proc queues ********* ??
>	- expensive source license		\
>	- Emulation for missing instructions	 > These are very important
>	- Bootstraps for MSCP Qbus devices	/

	I have a hard believing the *'d item. BSD4.x has had hashed
inodes and linked process queues since before it was released!
I should know, I have seen pre-release listings of the kernel source
from Berkeley and these features are there. I cannot see Berkeley
removing them after putting them in!
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (06/01/85)

> 	I have a hard believing the *'d item. BSD4.x has had hashed
> inodes and linked process queues since before it was released!
> I should know, I have seen pre-release listings of the kernel source
> from Berkeley and these features are there. I cannot see Berkeley
> removing them after putting them in!

What is the value of "x" in "BSD4.x"?  4.1BSD had hashed inode and buffer
lookup, which stayed around in 4.2.  4.2 (and, I think, 4.1) also had
pointers to a process' parent, youngest living child, next older sibling,
and next younger sibling, but didn't use any of those other than the parent
pointer.  4.3 uses those pointers (it's a trivial change to make 4.2 use
them), and also has a linked list of non-empty process table slots, which
4.2 did not have.

	Guy Harris