[comp.edu] Graduate School in Computer Science

king1@husc10.harvard.edu (Gary King) (04/30/91)

prescript: This is my first posting so please tell me if I screwed up

I'm interested in doing graduate work in computer science and
am wondering if anyone out here can give me information, suggestions,
gossip or news on the graduate programs out there.  I have a master's
in math (algebraic number theory) and am a good C programmer (a
little C++, a knowledge of UNIX system calls etc).  I am most interested
in algorithms (design and theory), compiler design, operating systems
and also in AI and Cognitive science.

I would most like to go to school somewhere in upstate New York or New
York city so info. on schools in these areas would be especially
appreciated.  Please e-mail me any responses.

I'd also like to know what other newsgroups I should post this on (if
any).

thanks in advance.

kurak@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Charles Kurak) (05/01/91)

Newsgroups: king1@husc7.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: Graduate school in Computer Science
In article <1991Apr29.173413.738@husc3.harvard.edu> king1@husc10.harvard.edu (Gary King) writes:
>prescript: This is my first posting so please tell me if I screwed up
>
>I'm interested in doing graduate work in computer science and
>am wondering if anyone out here can give me information, suggestions,
>gossip or news on the graduate programs out there.  I have a master's
>in math (algebraic number theory) and am a good C programmer (a
>little C++, a knowledge of UNIX system calls etc).  I am most interested
>in algorithms (design and theory), compiler design, operating systems
>and also in AI and Cognitive science.
>
>I would most like to go to school somewhere in upstate New York or New
>York city so info. on schools in these areas would be especially
>appreciated.  Please e-mail me any responses.
>
>I'd also like to know what other newsgroups I should post this on (if
>any).
>
>thanks in advance.

Try your library's reference section.  Peterson's Guide to Graduate Schools.
I may not have the name correct, but your reference librarian should know it.
It's divided by areas of interest.  Check out Computer Science and Information
Science.  There are short listings of areas of interest, types of degrees
offered, addresses and phone numbers, etc.  Some of the schools also have
a two page detailed listing.  The short listings will tell you which ones.
(e.g. "see pp 605-6").

Then, write to any that may interest you.  Almost all will respond with
brochures, catalogs, etc.  And, when you are starting to narrow it down,
don't forget to VISIT the schools, meet the admissions people, meet some
professors in your area of interest, find out what their programs offer,
and ask for a tour of the facilities.  They might have a graduate student
or two show you around.  This is an EXCELLENT opportunity to see if you
really want to spend your money, time, and hard work there.

Good luck!

Charlie Kurak
kurak@cs.unc.edu
--