[comp.edu] Teaching Mathematics

conrad@wucs1.wustl.edu (H. Conrad Cunningham) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.133856.8338@psych.toronto.edu> grant@psych.toronto.edu (Stuart Grant) writes:
>So, I think math instruction can be best improved not by teaching the
>teachers more math, but by giving them more teaching skills, including
>additinal training in how to teach math.

I'm not sure that prospective math teachers need more "teaching
methods" courses, but I believe they surely need more explicit
training in "mathematical problem solving methods."

I think part of the problem with the way math is taught at pre-college
levels is the way it is taught at the college level.  Many
academic mathematicians (wild generalization here!) seem to have little
interest in "problem solving  methodology" and even less in trying
explicitly to teach such methodologies.  Math teachers at the
elementary and secondary levels could benefit greatly from explicit
teaching in such techniques.  I would consider study of the works of
Polya, for example, to be essential for high school math teachers.  Some
of the results coming from the computer program derivation community
may also provide new insights into mathematical methodology.