[comp.edu] Preparation of mathematics teachers

hrubin@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May2.195751.22316@psych.toronto.edu>, grant@psych.toronto.edu (Stuart Grant) writes:
> >>I agree that watered down courses in which students are not expected to learn
> >>are not much use to anyone. However, I don't think that this is
> >>the biggest problem with the math instruction in primary and secondary
> >>schools. _Any_ math course taught at a college or university will be at
> >>least as sophisticated as what teachers will be teaching in primary and
> >>secondary schools. Not knowing how to do differential equations is not
> >>the greatest problem math teachers have.

This is too often true.  Not knowing how to do differential equations, or even
calculus is irrelevant.  Not being able to do old-fashioned Euclidean geometry
or to formulate word problems is relevant.  Not knowing the structure of the
integers or the real numbers is relevant.

Until WWII, this material was not taught to undergraduates.  In the 50s and 60s,
it was taught to many undergraduates.  Now, the high school students frequently
do not get a proof-oriented geometry course, formulate few word problems, if
any, have no idea how to argue by induction, all of which used to be "standard."
Most students getting regular BAs in mathematics are little better.

Even the kindergarten teacher should understand induction.  Even the first grade
teacher should be able to teach the very important use of symbols for precise
expression.  All junior high school and high school teaching of mathematics
should be by those who understand proofs, and teach them, and can even
occasionally produce them.

> >Nevertheless, the good teacher of mathematics will have a deep appreciation
> >of the way mathematics is actually used in the world at large and not just
> >a good understanding of a traditional list of arithmetical and algebraic
> >algorithms and formulas.  The student who sees his mathematics teacher as
> >inadequate, not only in the internal mechanics of the subject, but in
> >success in making the subject relevant to the world at large, will correctly
> >reason (YES, students are capable of reasoning) that this person has nothing
> >of importance to tell him.

The items I have mentioned above are the foundations.  It does no good to know
how to manipulate if you do not know when.  This is what led to the "new math",
which I do not think was done in the best manner, but which was the first real
attempt to teach understanding.  If failed because the teachers COULD NOT
understand.  At the present time, it is possible for someone to go through
all the courses, and even get a MS in mathematics education, taking the special
graduate courses on top of a standard BA, and never do other than manipulate.

In days of old, the concepts were not taught well, and only a few courses, such
as high school geometry and some parts of "college algebra", did more than
present manipulations.  However, the student who could not do word problems
did not do well, and the concepts were reasonably tested.

Teach the children to reason BEFORE they are brainwashed into believing that
mathematics consists of manipulation.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet)   {purdue,pur-ee}!l.cc!hrubin(UUCP)

balden@wimsey.bc.ca (Bruce Balden) (05/05/91)

In article <11890@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> hrubin@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:
>In article <1991May2.195751.22316@psych.toronto.edu>, grant@psych.toronto.edu (Stuart Grant) writes:
>Most students getting regular BAs in mathematics are little better.
>Even the kindergarten teacher should understand induction.  Even the first grade
>teacher should be able to teach the very important use of symbols for precise
>expression.  All junior high school and high school teaching of mathematics
>should be by those who understand proofs, and teach them, and can even
>occasionally produce them.
>
>> >Nevertheless, the good teacher of mathematics will have a deep appreciation
>> >of the way mathematics is actually used in the world at large and not just
>> >a good understanding of a traditional list of arithmetical and algebraic
>> >algorithms and formulas.  The student who sees his mathematics teacher as
>> >inadequate, not only in the internal mechanics of the subject, but in
>> >success in making the subject relevant to the world at large, will correctly
>> >reason (YES, students are capable of reasoning) that this person has nothing
>> >of importance to tell him.
>The items I have mentioned above are the foundations.  It does no good to know
>how to manipulate if you do not know when.  This is what led to the "new math",
> [Good stuff omitted for space]
>understand.  At the present time, it is possible for someone to go through
>all the courses, and even get a MS in mathematics education, taking the special
>graduate courses on top of a standard BA, and never do other than manipulate.
>
>Teach the children to reason BEFORE they are brainwashed into believing that
>mathematics consists of manipulation.
>--
"BRAINWASHED" is the operative word here.

I think we are headed to the notion that schools should not be quite so
isolated from the world at large.  At one time, it was thought that a
"reasonably educated person" could teach all youngsters well and that
slighlty more specialized people (secondary school subject teachers) could
handle the adolescents.

The problem has been a consistent misappreciation of the intrinsic value
of science and mathematics and its identification with the intellectual
elite.  The result is that an entire generation of people are out there
in the school system, especially the elementary school system, with bizarre,
erroneous, and destructive ideas not so much about mathematical concepts
themselves, but about its place and usefulness in the world.  As such, they
mould their charges in their own images, which, by nature of their callings
do not favour the subject at hand.

In my original posting, I tried to make clear that the scientists themselves
are by no means innocent of this crime.  Science has been by nature an elitist
and exclusive endeavour and it suited the scientists of earlier generations
just fine to keep the pool of people who understood it quite small.

It is only in the post-Sputnik age that we have figured out that it is
desirable for science to have a wider penetration.

However, given that the well is poisoned, we cannot give up.  We must recognize
that the mission is the rescue both the subject itself and its twisted
representation in the elementary school system from the nineteenth century
mindset.

As far as I can tell, the only way to achieve this is to adopt the methods
of school athletics programs: involve members of the community.  This has
many political and other problems, but I believe there is a substantial
community of scientists in the community at large willing to help out the
school system.

Of course, doing this requires some structure.  Guidelines and materials
have to be prepared.  Cooperative mechanism that don't give school officials
problems have to be arranged.

The premise here is students MUST be able to see the subject at work in the
REAL world, in the hands of ordinary people before that will attach much
importance to it.

The elementary school situation is a little more extreme: here, I think
that the First Grade teacher's personal attitudes to the subject can
definitely poison the student's mind.  A more positive role model
is urgently required here.

In the secondary school, the teacher there is isolated from the world.
Even though he be execellently prepared, he falls behind because he
is not part of the technical world ("those who can do, those who can't ...")
Therefore, I do not start with the presumption that he needs help from
the outside world, but that he needs to be a part of the outside world.
In other words, there needs to be a mechanism for teachers to participate
in the world at large and for other professionals to teach in the schools.
Keeping the worlds at such a distance invites a great gap between the
school's vision of the subject and reality.

As a simple, early step in accomplishing something positive,
n the great tradition of NetLand, I propose the provision of a
NetNews link to every high school in America.  WE here in NetLand
can field questions from high-schoolers and others on what the subject
is really used for.

Of course, sci.math would probably need dividing into many other
geographically limited subgroups, but that is the price of success.

--
DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are my own, not those of my employer.
*	Bruce E. Balden	    		Computer Signal Corporation Canada    *

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (05/06/91)

-----
In article <11890@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> hrubin@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:
> ... Not knowing how to do differential equations, or even
> calculus is irrelevant. ...

Somewhere along the way, we learned that the volume of a
parallelepiped is the surface area of the bases times the
perpendicular distance between them.  An argument was made for
this in terms of stacked plates shaped like the base, which could
be made quite thin.  (I think the teacher used a couple of decks
of cards and pushed them askew against a rule to make the point
that for the volume, it did not matter whether the stack was
straight or slanted.)  Later, we learned that the volume of a
pyramid was one-third of the base times the perpendicular
distance between it and the peak.  Again, this has an intuitive
argument.  Later, we learned the volume of a sphere.  But why is
it *that*, I asked?

The teacher had no easy argument.  But, it was promissed, there
is a later course, called calculus, where I could learn this, and
how to calculate the volume inside many curved surfaces.  Thus,
long before I took calculus, I had some intuition about what it
was partly about, and the study of limits, which is to many
students largely unmotivated, I knew had ties to surfaces and
volumes.  Perhaps it would have been better had the teacher been
able to lead me through a simple kind of argument for the volume
of the sphere.  But overall, the answer was not a bad one.

What struck me was how different it was from the answers I had
had from previous teachers.  In elementary school, as soon as we
learned squares, we were taught the Pythagorean theorem.  But why
is it so?  To this question, the teacher at the time responded:
things are just that way.  I was left with no idea that it could
be proven, or that some of the stuff we had learned about
triangles and squares was the way to do it, nor even that its
demonstration (as opposed to just memorizing it) was part of
mathematics.  (I suspect the teacher did not know enough about
these things to pass on any useful information.)

It may not be important for secondary math teachers to know how
to do calculus or differential equations.  But they should have a
good idea of what these and other subjects are, because they pass
on to students (or fail to do so) what mathematics is all about.