[comp.edu] POLITICAL CORRECTNESS

g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu (George C. Harrison, Norfolk State University) (05/07/91)

In article <91125.170149MLWLG@CUNYVM.BITNET>, MLWLG@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
> Hello.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestion(s) on how to teach pluralism in a Computer
> Science curriculum?  What do I mean when I say pluralism?   Well, as I see
> it there are two extremes: societal and academic.  Academic is the easy,
> you just instruct the class in such a way that it fosters each student's
> own learning style (sure sounds easy). The tough one is societal.
>
> In lab classes assignments can be given that need group attention, but when
> you're in front of the board showing them some programming construct, how
> do you relate it to their role in society and/or, their ability to resolve
> conflicts in society? How do I make the lesson multicultural?

Why do the lessons need to be multicultural?  The leaning of programming, for
example, is acultural.  To place judements on such things sounds like
"political correctness."  I DO teach personal differences, etc. in software
engineering.  I believe it's up to the student to decide how he or she will
respond to society's needs.  That's not my job as a teacher.

> Thank you,
> -Larry

You are welcome.
 George