[comp.edu] most respected chinese SCIENTISTs

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May12.224331.20754@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU>, wangh@beasley.CS.ORST.EDU (Haiyan Wang) writes:
<In article <TSAO.91May12145829@bacchus.tcad.ee.ufl.edu> tsao@tcad.ee.ufl.edu ( Tsao) writes:
<>
<>Interesting, would you tell me what is "Computer Science" ?
<
<I think there are plenty Computer Science major netter out there to answer
<this question.

Well, I'm a computer-"science" major (with a second major in Chinese language
and literature), and I'm the one who originally raised this question on SCC.
(Follow-ups to `comp.edu', please.)

>They should be able to state the difference between computer
<science and computer engineering than I do as I am majoring in physics.

Fine.  There's a difference between computer engineering and what is called
computer science, but that doesn't mean that the term `computer science'
is an accurate description of the field.

You keep avoiding the question.  Please tell us:  What is scientific about
computer "science"?

					--Scott

--
Scott Horne                               ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!horne
horne@cs.Yale.edu      SnailMail:  Box 7196 Yale Station, New Haven, CT   06520

stlin@stevelin.Eng.Sun.COM (Steven Lin) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May14.190239.1330@cs.yale.edu>  (Scott Horne) writes:
>In article <1991May12.224331.20754@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU>  (Haiyan Wang) writes:
><In article <TSAO.91May12145829@bacchus.tcad.ee.ufl.edu>  ( Tsao) writes:
><>
><>Interesting, would you tell me what is "Computer Science" ?
>
>Well, I'm a computer-"science" major (with a second major in Chinese language
>and literature), and I'm the one who originally raised this question on SCC.

Scott once told the netters that he is a scholar, now he says he is working
on C S toward "B S".  May be tomorrow he will say he is a scientist.:-)

>>They should be able to state the difference between computer
><science and computer engineering than I do as I am majoring in physics.

The difference is obvious:
Computer engineering major students have to meet the requirement of hardware
design courses (of course software courses too). On the other hand, the CS
students do not have the requirement to take hardware design courses. This
does not mean that a CS major has no capability to take hardware courses
and later becomes a hardware designer. And a CE major can be a software
designer if he wishes to do so. The difference tells that CS is oriented
to software and CE is oriented on hardware, and the faculty and equipment
will be significant different in schools for these two fields.

manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May14.190239.1330@cs.yale.edu> horne-scott@cs.yale.edu
(Scott Horne) writes:
>You keep avoiding the question.  Please tell us:  What is scientific about
>computer "science"?

Science involves the collection of data and the development and
refinement of models. Not all of computer science follows this paradigm
(the engineering design/analysis paradigm and the mathematical proof
paradigm are also common), but there is certainly a strong scientific
element in those parts of computer science which are concerned with
empirical methods. For example, consider the working set model: Denning
derived it from studying data on paging traffic. In turn, the model
caused new systems to be built, each of which resulted in further
revisions to the model. AI tends to follow similar paradigms. More
recently, parallel complexity theorists have tended to build labs in
order to perform experiments which are aimed at refining their models.

--
\    Vincent Manis <manis@cs.ubc.ca>      "There is no law that vulgarity and
 \   Department of Computer Science      literary excellence cannot coexist."