[comp.edu] Multimedia Learning/Teaching facilities

Don_Porter@mts.rpi.edu (06/14/91)

We at RPI are considering the construction of a new classroom building which
would have as an explicit goal provision of state-of-the-art technology for
teaching and learning. Classrooms, labs, lecture halls, etc. with computing and
communications tools especially for teaching of science and technology.

Where are there currently state-of-the-art facilities we can visit to get
examples, suggestions, pointers? We'd especially like to learn from successes.

Please reply by email; I'll summarize to the net.

Thanks in advance,
Don Porter, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Don_Porter@mts.rpi.edu

Don_Porter@mts.rpi.edu (06/19/91)

In article <6m8ksg_@rpi.edu> Don_Porter@mts.rpi.edu writes:
>We at RPI are considering the construction of a new classroom building which
>would have as an explicit goal provision of state-of-the-art technology for
>teaching and learning. Classrooms, labs, lecture halls, etc. with computing
and
>communications tools especially for teaching of science and technology.
>
>Where are there currently state-of-the-art facilities we can visit to get
>examples, suggestions, pointers? We'd especially like to learn from successes.
>
>Please reply by email; I'll summarize to the net.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Don Porter, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
>Don_Porter@mts.rpi.edu

Here are the notable responses I've receivedso far.  ....   Don

The University of Vermont has some marvelous facilities that seem to make
 use of state-of-the-art computing tools. If you decide to visit them for
 a day and would like some company for the trip, let me know. It's probably
 a full day's outing to Burlington.

 Try Jim Whitby or Lynne Meeks at Univ of Vermont, (802) 656-2970. They were
 most helpful with setting up the equipment and running the computers.

 Please include our Computer Classroom in your summary.
[The Math Dept at Albany has a new classroom with Commodore Amiga workstations
arranged very creatively for interactive instructional use.- DP]

 Herb Brown  Math Dept  The Univ at Albany  Albany, NY 12222  (518) 442-4640
 hibrown@leah.albany.edu or hibrown@cs.albany.edu or hibrown@bst.albany.edu

 I work on a "computer classroom" project here at the University of Maryland.
 We just finished a room funded by AT&T and the university.  It's called the
 AT&T Teaching Theater.  It has 20 AT&T 6386/25 workstations networked together

 using AT&T StarLan.  We are running Novell Netware 386.  We have paid a lot
 of attention to the environment of the room (soft colors, receded monitors,
 acoustic panels, receded lighting, etc.).  We also have a variety of
 sophisticated A/V equipment.  The room is basically complete - we are still
 waiting for the completion of the instructor's desk and the room controller.

 Our room here at the University of Maryland is unique in that it is not
 associated with any particular school in the university.  It is run by
 the Computer Science Center.  Our emphasis in the room is on teaching
 rather than research (although we will be using a certain percentage
 of the time for research).

 There are many other "rooms" on other campuses in the U.S.  A lot of them
 are in the Business School and are setup for business decision models.
 I believe Brown University has an electronic classroom run by the
 computer science department.  Other schools include University of Arizona,
 MIT, Columbia University, and many more that I can't think of right at the
 moment.

 I don't have a lot of time now to elaborate.  If you would like more details,
 feel free to call me or email me.

 Ellen Yu
 Ellen Yu                             |  Phone: (301) 403-4623 office
 Computer Science Center              |         (301) 474-9217 home
 4321 Hartwick Rd., Suite 500         |  Internet: eyu@umd5.umd.edu
 College Park, MD  20740              |  Compuserve: 71641,1764

 How about coming to visit CMU?
 Leslie Burkholder

 Hi Leslie,
 Thanks for the invitation. Actually I've been to CMU a number of times.
 I've seen some of the facilities there -- at least those that were in
 place at the time of EDUCOM (in 88?). What specific things would you
 suggest that we see at CMU?
   Don

  CMU has a couple of new multimedia rooms. You might send email to Gregg
 Mathis (gregg.mathis@andrew) and Tracy Futhey (tracy.futhey) about the
 facilities. Gregg Mathis should be contacted about the one in CFA and
 Tracy Futhey about the one in H&SS.
 Leslie Burkholder

 Our campus has been through a five year rennovation period
 in which 5 technology lecture halls and about twelve computer
 classrooms have been installed.  The technology classrooms
 utilize a system called TAG (which stands for something but
 I can't remember what at the moment) which acts as a mediator
 between the technology and the instructor.  The system
 was designed by Ali Jafari and Reza Pishgahi here at IU
 and has been quite successful both in terms of performance
 and in getting professors who would normally not use
 the technology available to use the technology.  The
 lecture halls have a console consisting of an IBM PC,
 Mac, and NeXT (soon to also have Sparcs).  Ceiling
 mounted Barco projection units display the screen display
 onto a 5'x8' viewing screen for the audience.  We have
 full network connectivity in these rooms.  Other
 technology mediated by the TAG system includes LaserDiscs,
 CD, CD ROM, video cassette (super VHS and Beta), audio cassette,
 and cable television, as well as a slide projector and hi-fidelity
 audio.

 The computer labs/classrooms have also been quite successful.
 Bill Welty is the primary contact person for computer classroom
 design.  We currently have classrooms with IBM-PCs, Macs, Nexts,
 and Sparcs and all classrooms are networked through our
 campus ethernet.

 If you'd like more information, please don't hesitate to
 contact Reza Pishgahi (pishgahi@ucs.indiana.edu) or Bill Welty
 (weltyw@ucs.indiana.edu).  I'll tell them both you're looking
 for information.

 Good luck.

 -LoriLee Sadler
 Department of Computer Science
 Indiana University
 Bloomington, IN  47405
 812-855-7860

  I've been out of education circles for a while, but the Media Lab's
 Vivarium project in LA and Apple's Classrooms of Tommorrow seem like
 they might be appropriate.

 I'm not sure what age groups your addressing, but in k-12 Apple has
 pretty much been it....

 Tomo

 tomo@ocf.berkeley.edu
 	I would love to hear what replies you get, what you see if you
 actually go visit some facilities, and what you folks will be doing.
 I'm an adjunct in the evenings at St Petersburg Junior College and
 would love to push them into the 1990's :-)

 Thanks,

 George

 --
 George W. Leach					AT&T Paradyne