[comp.edu] Wanted - Teaching Curriculum Database Manager

nholford@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Dr. Nick H.G. Holford) (06/19/91)

The School of Medicine at the University of Auckland (New Zealand) is
revising its teaching curriculum.
We have a network (Vines now, Novell real soon now...) with a
PClone in each Dept (Macs will be added with Novell).

We would like to set up a network database with fields such as:
    Lecture Type e.g. didactic lecture, tutorial, laboratory
    Lecture Title
    Content Keywords e.g. kidney, blood flow, serum creatinine
    Organ System e.g. cardiovascular, CNS
    Disease Category e.g. lung cancer, asthma
    Therapeutic Agents e.g. aspirin, digoxin
    Responsible Dept
    Responsible Person
    Lecture Duration
    Term/Semester e.g. 1, 2 or 3

We would like to use the database to create lecture schedules, detect
overlap of teaching topics by different departments, identify missing
areas of interest, etc.

It seems likely that this particular wheel (or close relative) has already
been invented. Would anyone who knows of a system which might be adapted
to our needs please contact me. There are some (limited) financial
resources available to purchase/license an existing system in addition
to a database manager such as Paradox, Oracle, etc.
--

Nick Holford, Dept Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology
University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

--

Nick Holford, Dept Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacology
University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
INTERNET: n.holford@aukuni.ac.nz

tau-ceti (06/20/91)

nholford@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Dr. Nick H.G. Holford) writes:

> We would like to set up a network database with fields such as:
>     Lecture Type e.g. didactic lecture, tutorial, laboratory
>     Lecture Title
>     Content Keywords e.g. kidney, blood flow, serum creatinine
>     Organ System e.g. cardiovascular, CNS
>     Disease Category e.g. lung cancer, asthma
>     Therapeutic Agents e.g. aspirin, digoxin
>     Responsible Dept
>     Responsible Person
>     Lecture Duration
>     Term/Semester e.g. 1, 2 or 3

I saw an implementation *very* similar to this at a National Pharmacological
seminar held in San Francisco in 1990. I believe that the original source was
written in either dBase IV or else Informix 4GL. For the life of me I cannot
find a reference anywhere in my database (damn databases!)that would give me a
clue as to the author, but at the time I remember that it was a simple unit to
write. Let me know what experience you or someone in your department has with
either of these database managers. Perhaps I can "walk you through it." It
really isn't that difficult.
Let me know if I can help.

dave@kharma (Dave Laird)     |  (___)  | The Computer Concern, Springdale
SYSOP: Used Kharma Lot BBS   |  (O O)  | Washington  509-233-8474 *HST*
              ++  isc-br!tau-ceti!dogear!kharma!dave  ++