[comp.edu] text compression/transfer

mirchand@calvin (R. P. Mirchandaney) (06/18/91)

I'm interested in sending data between an RS6000 and a IBM 3090 running
VM/CMS. Is there a compression code that I can use that would allow me to
compress on the RS6000 and decompress on the VM. The 3090 uses EBCDIC so
I need to do data conversion as well.

Thanks,

Ravi
--
Jose C. Barros
Senior Research Computer Scientist

alan@tivoli.UUCP (Alan R. Weiss) (06/23/91)

In article <1991Jun18.151041.13362@shell.shell.com> mirchand@calvin (R. P. Mirchandaney) writes:
>I'm interested in sending data between an RS6000 and a IBM 3090 running
>VM/CMS. Is there a compression code that I can use that would allow me to
>compress on the RS6000 and decompress on the VM. The 3090 uses EBCDIC so
>I need to do data conversion as well.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ravi
>--
>Jose C. Barros
>Senior Research Computer Scientist
>Shell Development Company, Bellaire Research Center, Houston  (713) 663-2660
>..!{sun,psuvax,bcm,rice,cs.texas.edu,decwrl}!shell!jose      jose@shell.uucp

You can do it by ordering AIX/370 from IBM and running it as a guest
operating system under VM  :-)

You can also use TCP/IP, which is available now from IBM for both
the RS/6000 and 370-class systems (3090) running VM.

Compression code?  Why?

(I am not employed by IBM Corporation ... just a rooter).

Alan R. Weiss                           TIVOLI Systems, Inc.
E-mail: alan@tivoli.com                 6034 West Courtyard Drive,
E-mail: alan@whitney.tivoli.com	        Suite 210
Voice : (512) 794-9070                  Austin, Texas USA  78730
Fax   : (512) 794-0623