[comp.dcom.lans] Connecting Unix and VMS to Ethernet

zaccone@psuvax1.UUCP (11/23/86)

At Bucknell University, we have a VAX 11/780 running VMS, a 750 running
Ultrix, and some Sun 3/50's.  We are about to connect everthing via
Ethernet.  Here is our problem.

We need a TCP/IP product for the 780 running VMS.  We do not yet have
an Ethernet board, and are considering three possibilities:

1. An Interlan board with on-board TCP/IP and other application
software.

2. An Excelan board with on-board TCP/IP and other application
software.

3. DEC DELUA with TCP/IP from Wollongong or Process Software.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these options?  Will they
let us exchange mail and files between the 780 and the other machines?
Is there a better way to go?  Please respond by mail.  I don't normally
read this newsgroup.

Rick Zaccone                   Pennsylvania State University
CSNET: zaccone@penn-state      BITNET: zaccone@psuvax1
UUCP:  {akgua,allegra,burdvax,ihnp4}!psuvax1!zaccone

or zaccone@bucknell.bitnet
--

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (11/24/86)

In article <2340@psuvax1.UUCP> zaccone@psuvax1.UUCP (Rick Zaccone) writes:
>Is there a better way to go?  Please respond by mail.  I don't normally
>read this newsgroup.

I'm posting this because I want to ask a question. If this is an
interesting question to Rick, he should read this newsgroup.

>We need a TCP/IP product for the 780 running VMS.  We do not yet have
>an Ethernet board, and are considering three possibilities:
>
>1. An Interlan board with on-board TCP/IP and other application
>software.
>
>2. An Excelan board with on-board TCP/IP and other application
>software.

We have been using Excelan. It seems to work and has some nice extras
you don't always get with TCP/IP, namely, many of the Berkeley r*
utilities like rwho and ruptime. The rlogin isn't completely
satisfactory, as you would expect rlogin to an host with an Excelan
interface to log you in instead of prompting you for a login:.

The worst thing in my point of view is the lack of routed support.
Unfortunately, Interlan has no routing support in their TCP terminal
server and I wouldn't expect them to have it in their VMS interfaces
either. The only hope I see is for many potential customers to ask for
it.

--
 If you had everything, where would you put it?

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,hplabs,allegra}!amdcad!phil
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

long@savax.UUCP (David Long) (12/02/86)

We have a large, heterogeneous network here at Sanders.  We are running
Wollogongs package on two nodes, one with the shared DEUNA and one with
the Interlan card.  Both versions seem to work quite well although the
mail scheme is a serious hack, requiring all mail to be addessed to the
account which runs a batch job to read and forward its mail.  My main
complaint about the Wollogong package is its price!  Three times the price
of many comparable packages offering higher performance!  Currently
we are looking for substitutes for the Wollogong package as our network
continues to expand.  In your posting you mention the Interlan package
and the Excellan package.  Interlan claims that although they do not
support the routed daemon and they cannot function as a gateway they do
know how to address packets to hosts connected through gateways.  The
main problem with Interlan is that they do not yet support smtp.

We are also looking at CMC's (Communication Machinery Company) TCP/IP
package.  This package supports smtp and routing.
--
David Long  ...decvax!savax!long  (Sanders Associates, Inc., Nashua, NH)