[comp.dcom.lans] FTP/TELNET Software for IBM PC on 3COM Ethernet Card

dickj@tekgen.UUCP (David White) (12/05/86)

1.  I urgently need information about any venders that have software
for the 3COM Ethernet interface card for the PC that will support
telnet and ftp to a MVAX Ultrix system.

2.  Does anyone know if Sun's PC-NFS will work in a non-NFS
environment, i.e.  MVAX II Utlrix-32m?

3.  Has anyone got any information on currently available or
forthcoming support for NFS under Ultrix-32m?

	Dave White
	Grass Valley Group
	P.O. Box 1114
	Grass Valley, CA 95945
	(916)478-3052
	UUCP:  ...!tektronix!gvgpsa!davew
	       ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!gvgpsa!davew

scarter@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (Stephen M. Carter) (12/06/86)

In article <606@tekgen.UUCP> dickj@tekgen.UUCP (David White) writes:

>1.  I urgently need information about any venders that have software
>for the 3COM Ethernet interface card for the PC that will support
>telnet and ftp to a MVAX Ultrix system.

	a. MIT:  Includes Telnet (h-19), tftp, netwatch, whois, netname, etc
	b. Stanford: Telnet (vt100) and ftp
	c. Bridge Communications: Telnet (vt100) and ftp.
	d. FTP Software: Telnet (vt100) , ftp  (see next reply article)
	e. CMU: (They have done some work on the MIT code in Microsoft C.  I
	        am not sure about the details)
	f. Sun: Telnet (vt100) and NFS

All support the 3Com 3c501 Etherseries cards.  The MIT and Stanford can be
obtained for a small distribution fee.  The Bridge, FTP, and Sun are supported
products and are in the $250-$350 (code only) range.   Boards range about
$430-$525.

We have found that the MIT utilites mostly work on both the Bridge and
Stanford drivers.  What we have done is taken the Stanford code, the
utilties from the MIT package that work and an updated manual and formed a
local distribution within Rutgers.   Most of the PC users are using this with
some using the Sun PC-NFS.  PC-NFS does not support ftp, so it depends on what
the users want more (or have the budget for).

>3.  Has anyone got any information on currently available or
>forthcoming support for NFS under Ultrix-32m?

I *think* that Sun and TWG are working on NFS for the vax family.  Check
with them.

-SCarter
uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!scarter
arpa:   SCARTER@RED.RUTGERS.EDU