[net.unix-wizards] Relative speed of Bourne vs. C Shell

> The System V Bourne shell has "test" and other functions built in.  This
> improves its performance.  Now, if someone would port this to 4.2...

We have done this at BRL (and Ron Natalie even added job control).
Unfortunately, last I heard, Berkeley did not have a UNIX System V
license so they could not include UNIX System V source in their
distribution.

db@cstvax.UUCP (Dave Berry) (05/23/85)

In article <9636@brl-tgr.ARPA> Doug Gwyn writes:
>> The System V Bourne shell has "test" and other functions built in.  This
>> improves its performance.  Now, if someone would port this to 4.2...
>
>We have done this at BRL (and Ron Natalie even added job control).
>Unfortunately, last I heard, Berkeley did not have a UNIX System V
>license so they could not include UNIX System V source in their
>distribution.

Is the source for job control available?   Could someone post it either
to me or to {mod,net}.sources?  (Obviously I'm not asking
for the source of the System V shell itself, just the changes for
4.2bsd + job control).  Is this possible to do without violating
ATT contracts, USA export controls, the bounds of good taste, etc.?

(I tried to contact Doug by mail, but the ARPAnet security wouldn't have
any of that.  Now I just hope our news link works at last ...)

	Dave Berry. CS postgrad, Univ. of Edinburgh
					...mcvax!ukc!{hwcs,kcl-cs}!cstvax!db

--
	Dave Berry. CS postgrad, Univ. of Edinburgh
					...mcvax!ukc!hwcs!cstvax!db

> Is the source for job control available?

Yes, Ron's job control module is available for the asking,
BUT there are quite a few pieces of the Bourne shell that
have to be modified too.  (They are all flagged with
#ifdef JOBS in our sources.)  The simplest thing is to get
a copy of all the shell sources from us, either as part of
the BRL VAX UNIX (4.nBSD) distribution (Release 3.0 had a
problem due to some changes in process group rules, fixed
in our current shell sources) or as part of the BRL UNIX
System V emulation for 4.2BSD.  For information about the
former, contact Mike Muuss and crew (mike@brl.arpa or
decvax!brl-bmd!mike); for information about the latter
contact Douglas Gwyn (gwyn@brl.arpa or decvax!brl-bmd!gwyn).

There seems to be a problem with requests from outside the
U.S.A. but we can probably find ways..

P.S.  I think Arnold Robbins of Georgia Tech was intending
to post these and other Bourne shell enhancements soon..

arnold@gatech.CSNET (Arnold Robbins) (06/06/85)

> > Is the source for job control available?
>
> Yes, Ron's job control module is available for the asking,
> BUT there are quite a few pieces of the Bourne shell that
> have to be modified too.  (They are all flagged with
> #ifdef JOBS in our sources.) [....]
>
> P.S.  I think Arnold Robbins of Georgia Tech was intending
> to post these and other Bourne shell enhancements soon..

Yes indeed, I am planning on posting the changes that BRL made, plus
a bunch more, probably late tomorrow.  They will be posted to mod.sources,
which is forwarded into the UNIX-SOURCES@BRL Arpanet mailing list.

I will post a more detailed announcement in this group once I have sent
the postings on to the moderator at mod.sources.  There will be about 9 (!)
postings, for two reasons. One, I am posting context diffs for three
versions of the Bourne shell (Vanilla 4.2 BSD, System V Release 2, and
the S5R2 shell that comes with BRL Unix), and Two, to make sure each
article is less than 64K in size.

BSD Bourne shell users, and System V sites who don't have Ksh, just be
patient a little longer, it will be worth the wait! :-)
--
Arnold Robbins
CSNET:	arnold@gatech	ARPA:	arnold%gatech.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

How come nobody likes good ideas when they don't come up with them?