[comp.dcom.lans] NFS summary required

omahony@tcdcs.UUCP (O'Mahony Donal) (12/07/86)

I urgently require a summary of the file server functions provided by
the Sun NFS.  Does anybody out there have a (referencable) document
describing the basics of how it is implemented.

Thanks in advance,

Donal O'Mahony,
Trinity College,
Computer Science Dept,
Dublin 2,
Ireland.         ..mcvax!einode!tcdcs!omahony

In article <144@tcdcs.UUCP>, omahony@tcdcs.UUCP (O'Mahony Donal) writes:
> I urgently require a summary of the file server functions provided by
> the Sun NFS.  Does anybody out there have a (referencable) document
> describing the basics of how it is implemented.

One of the Sun manuals, Networking on the Sun Workstation, has a
section titled Network File System Protocol Specification.  This
contains all information necessary for building an implementation.  For
example, I used it to build a server for 4.2BSD, which I had almost
running when 4.2 went away on our machine here.  You will also need RPC
and XDR specs, which are other sections of the same manual.

How is it implemented?  That is up to the implementor.  For example,
Sun and Mt. Xinu did it one way.  I will be writing an implementation
for 4.3 (once we get 4.3 source - all we have now is 4.3 with Mt.
Xinu's NFS in it) which will be done completely differently, and, in my
opinion, much better.  I have some basic disagreements with the NFS
spec, but that is neither here nor there as far as this discussion is
concerned.

NFS is built on top of RPC, which uses XDR with UDP datagrams.  The
server needs to be able to support the following RPC calls:

	- Do nothing
	- Get a file's attributes
	- Set a file's attributes
	- Look up a file name in a directory
	- Read a symbolic link
	- Read from a file
	- Write to a file
	- Create a file in a directory
	- Remove a file from a directory
	- Rename a file
	- Create a (hard) link to a file
	- Create a symbolic link to a file
	- Create a directory
	- Remove a directory
	- Read a directory's entries
	- Get a filesystem's attributes

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse@harvard.harvard.edu

[USA NSA food: terrorist, cryptography, DES, drugs, CIA, secret, decode]