[comp.dcom.lans] Mac Appletalk to ethernet bridge

ecf_ujaj@jhunix.UUCP (Jim Jones) (12/19/86)

 We're in the process of installing a campus wide ethernet (mostly
 TCP/IP with some DECNET) here at JHU.  One of the projects that
 will need to be addressed in the near future concerns connecting
 Apple Macintoshes to the network.  The department that has Macs wants
 to be able to connect there Appletalk-networked Macs to the ethernet
 in order to gain access to the mainframes on the ether.  I seem to
 remember reading about this being mentioned on the net before (in the
 old "net.lan" group I believe).  Any information, or pointers to
 information would be appreciated.  We have found one site that has
 done this (Dartmouth perhaps?) but they have developed homegrown
 hardware bridge the two networks, we were hoping for a pre-packaged
 commercial solution.

 Thanks in advance,
 -jj
--

 UUCP:  {ihnp4!whuxcc | seismo!umcp-cs}!jhunix!ecf_ujaj
 ARPA:  jones@hopkins.arpa

zben@umd5 (Ben Cranston) (12/20/86)

In article <4175@jhunix.UUCP> ecf_ujaj@jhunix.UUCP (Jim Jones) writes:

>   ... The department that has Macs wants
> to be able to connect there Appletalk-networked Macs to the ethernet
> in order to gain access to the mainframes on the ether.
> ... we were hoping for a pre-packaged commercial solution.

We're using a Kinetics FastPath Appletalk to Ethernet bridge in the
IP-within-Appletalk mode.  Just got it working last week.  The Telnet
is pretty bleak - it crashes a lot - and any attempt to do file transfer
is met with an immediate crash.  We think because we are using HFS and
the programs we have "know too much" about MFS.  New versions of the
programs are imminent, so we are very hopeful for the future.

I believe this is a "pre-packaged commercial solution" version of the
original SEAGATE code done at Stanford.
--
                    umd5.UUCP    <= {seismo!mimsy,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben
Ben Cranston zben @ umd2.UMD.EDU    Kingdom of Merryland UniSys 1100/92

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (12/20/86)

The KInetics box works quite well.  As for Telnet and TFTP, they do not
apparently work well on a Mac+, since there was no such thing when I wrote
them.  (I *tried* to get advance HFS documentation, but Apple apparently
refused to give it to anyone except commercial developers!)  CMU has made
the minor changes needed to make the thing run properly, and their version
is still effectively public domain; I believe the proper address to write to
for updated version information is chandhok@gandalf.cs.cmu.edu (Rob
Chandhok).  There is also a new version just out from Stanford/Cornell, but
it is available to universities only.  It is based more on the original MIT
PCIP than on mine, but I assume they've used some parts of Mark Sherman's
work and mine in developing it.  Information from croft@russell.stanford.edu
(Bill Croft).

Finally, I am working on a supported version here at Centram in Berkeley; it
should be available for beta test in January.  The chief advantage, other
than support, is that the protocols present a driver-like interface; you can
write your own protocols without having to link in my protocol code, so you
can give (or sell) your protocols to anyone you like.  Also, I am making it
easy to add support for your own network interfaces and your own terminal
emulators and the like through a standards mechanism.  The design of the
standards mechanism and the protocol "driver" support layer has been the
chief delaying factor, but it's come out even better than I'd hoped.
--
Tim Maroney, Electronic Village Idiot
{ihnp4,sun,well,ptsfa,lll-crg,frog}!hoptoad!tim (uucp)