[comp.dcom.lans] TCP/IP - 3Bnet

john@polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) (12/22/86)

Does anyone have an software that allows 3b2-400's (running the
latest greatest V.3) to talk to TCP-IP systems?  Or, does anyone
have anything that supports 3bNET on normal machines?  Our AT&T people
have no idea what we are talking about when we tell them we want
our BSD4.3 Gould (running standard TCP/IP stuff) to talk to
our newly acquired 3B2400's.

How do other people do it?

John Buck
Polytechnic Inst. of NY
Rte. 110
Farmingdale, NY 11735
mergvax!inthap!polyof!john
trixie!polyof!john
rti-sel!polyof!john

latzko@andromeda.UUCP (Alex Latzko) (12/24/86)

In article <217@polyof.UUCP> john@polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) writes:

>Does anyone have an software that allows 3b2-400's (running the
>latest greatest V.3) to talk to TCP-IP systems?  Or, does anyone

Well, as of 10 December the word I got from ATT was look for tcp/ip
for the 3b2/X00 series to be available late in 1Q87.  There was a version
of 3bnet availabe for VAX/UNIX but it is no longer available.  The 5.2
version of tcp/ip for the 3b2/X00 is a port from TWG and costs $5K on the
open market.  It will not run with 5.3 at all.

Best suggestions I have are beat on your att rep for an early release
or beta test copy.  Barry Shien (bzs@bu-cs) at Boston University wrote
a TFTP for the 3b2 which I haven't gotten installed yet.  You might
also consider beating on the wonderful folks at FTP Software to write
a real implementation of TCP/IP for the 3b2.

cheers
/S*

--

<latzko@andromeda.rutgers.edu		Alex Latzko
<anywhere!rutgers!andromeda!latzko	Rutgers University - CCIS Newark

mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) (01/05/87)

In article <174@andromeda.UUCP> latzko@andromeda.UUCP (Alex Latzko) writes:
>Well, as of 10 December the word I got from ATT was look for tcp/ip
>for the 3b2/X00 series to be available late in 1Q87.  There was a version
>of 3bnet availabe for VAX/UNIX but it is no longer available.  The 5.2
>version of tcp/ip for the 3b2/X00 is a port from TWG and costs $5K on the
>open market.  It will not run with 5.3 at all.

I thought the package (called "Enhanced TCP/IP WIN/3B", PEC # 1040-TE1)
was generally available last April.  We've had it here for some time (since
beta test days.)  Is it really not available outside AT&T yet?

Release 1.0 (which is what came out last April) runs on SVr2 but not on
the paging releases 2.1 or 3.0.  Release 1.1 is supposed to run on all
three systems.  We just got an early copy of 1.1 and I plan to upgrade
my 3B2/310 to SVr3 tomorrow to see how it works.

berger@datacube.UUCP (01/07/87)

We are running a WIN TCP/IP package on an ATT 3b2/310 under sysVr2.

When can we get NFS? :-)
			Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. 4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960 	617-535-6644

ihnp4!datacube!berger
{seismo,cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger

latzko@andromeda.UUCP (Alex Latzko) (01/08/87)

In article <101900003@datacube> berger@datacube.UUCP writes:
>When can we get NFS? :-)
>{seismo,cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger

I can't tell you when but I have seen it working from Lachman Assoc at the
UNIX Expo in New York. When I talked to the person from LAI he said it was
not in a sellable form and he couldn't say if they ever would sell a port.

They will happily sell you the sources since that is their business ( as far
as I can tell).  If enough people beat on them maybe they will make their demo
sturdy enough to sell as a commerical product.

hope this helps
/S*