[comp.dcom.lans] 3COM Ethernet / TCP/IP

jim@aob.UUCP (Jim Anderson) (01/19/87)

I recently noticed that 3com PC network uses Ethernet to interface
PCs to a central file server.  I have potential access to an Ethernet
board for our Xenix machine which talks TCP/IP on an Ethernet.  Does
anybody know if these two networks can talk to each other?  Also,
what capability would the PCs have with regard to the Xenix machine?
How about from the Xenix machine to the PC fileserver?  Thanks for any
help you can give me.

	Jim Anderson
	(jim@aob)
	{rutgers,amdahl,ihnp4}!meccts!aob!jim

romkey@mit-vax.UUCP (01/22/87)

In article <98@aob.UUCP> jim@aob.UUCP (Jim Anderson) writes:
>I recently noticed that 3com PC network uses Ethernet to interface
>PCs to a central file server.
>Does anybody know if these two networks can talk to each other?  Also,
>what capability would the PCs have with regard to the Xenix machine?
>How about from the Xenix machine to the PC fileserver?  Thanks for any
>help you can give me.
>
>	Jim Anderson

The 3COM PC network programs use a different protocol family from TCP/IP,
so as is, you couldn't get a PC running 3COM software to talk to a Xenix
box using TCP/IP. The 3COM protocol is an XNS-variant, and I think it's
unlikely that you can get that easily for a Xenix box.

You can, however, buy from a number of vendors software that will
provide TCP/IP for your 3COM PC.  You might take a look at FTP
Software, Network Research Corporation, Wollongong or Bridge
Communications for such a package for the 3COM interface.  If you look
at my signature, you'll be able to guess who I'd recommend, so I'll
say no more about vendor...

You can normally run different protocols on a single ethernet without
any problems. For instance, you could run 3COM's software, TCP/IP, Chaosnet
and DECNET all on one ethernet. Whether or not you can run multiple protocols
on one PC is another matter, because there are currently no mechanisms for
sharing the PC's ethernet interface. Some of the TCP/IP packages will
work with the 3COM software to a certain extent: when you invoke a
TCP/IP program you may lose access to any services provided by the
3COM software while that TCP/IP program runs. Some of the other
packages may completely lock out the 3COM software, so it's either-or
with a reboot to change your choice. You should inquire about this
before purchasing the software. It's unlikely that you'll find any
systems on the market that will support the TCP/IP programs accessing
3COM supplied services (for instance, FTPing to a 3COM remote
filesystem is probably right out).

What you can do between a PC and the Xenix system depends in part on
what the Xenix system can do. There are some very complete TCP/IP
packages for PC-DOS out there, with remote login, file transfer, mail
and the Berkeley Unix protocols. There are some which just give you
remote login and file transfer. You probably don't have quite as much
of a choice in software just yet for the Xenix system, so it could be
the limiting factor.

John Romkey			FTP Software, Inc.
(617) 864-1711			PO Box 150
UUCP: romkey@mit-vax.UUCP	Kendall Square Branch