[comp.dcom.lans] one way networking

mensah@crcge1.UUCP (Christian Mensah) (01/15/87)

For security reason , i want to disable networking (rlogin, rcp, rsh, r..)
on a Vax/4.2bsd ethernet linked with other Vaxes & Suns , ..., but allow people
on other machines to rlogin, rcp, rsh, r.. towards that one way machine .

	!-----!						   !------------------!
	! Vax !-----(rlogin , rcp,rsh ,r..) disabled ----> ! Vax/bsd  	      !
	! bsd !						   !   or	      !
	!_____!<----(rlogin , rcp,rsh ,r..) enabled -----  ! Sun or Symbolics !
          II			                           !__________________!
	  II_____________________________________________________II
	  !________________ Ethernet _____________________________I

Many thanks for your ideas

(don't ask me why i didn't break physical connections)

Christian K. Mensah 	     Labo Marcoussis   F-91460 Marcoussis (64 49 11 55)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~	     ...{decvax,seismo}!mcvax!inria!crcge1!mensah

ron@brl-sem.UUCP (01/17/87)

In article <1740@crcge1.UUCP>, mensah@crcge1.UUCP (Christian Mensah) writes:
> For security reason , i want to disable networking (rlogin, rcp, rsh, r..)
> on a Vax/4.2bsd ethernet linked with other Vaxes & Suns , ..., but allow people
> on other machines to rlogin, rcp, rsh, r.. towards that one way machine .

Remove the daemons (rlogind, rshd, telnetd...) from the machine you want
to avoid incoming connections on.  Or remove their start up from /etc/passwd
(or comment them out of inet.conf if you are using that).

-Ron

markh@ico.UUCP (Mark Hamilton) (01/22/87)

In article <1740@crcge1.UUCP>, mensah@crcge1.UUCP (Christian Mensah) writes:
> For security reason , i want to disable networking (rlogin, rcp, rsh, r..)
> on a Vax/4.2bsd ethernet linked with other Vaxes & Suns , ..., but allow people
> on other machines to rlogin, rcp, rsh, r.. towards that one way machine .

As mentioned in a previous reply stopping the daemons stops incomming
connects.  If you need to stop outgoing (which I think is the case if I read
your question correctly), try setting the r* commands to be execute by root
only, or remove them.  Unless you have users that try to connect to their own
machine nobody should miss the commands.
--
Mark Hamilton
InterActive Systems

mb@ttidca.UUCP (Michael Bloom) (01/23/87)

In article <591@brl-sem.ARPA> ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:

>Remove the daemons (rlogind, rshd, telnetd...) from the machine you want
>to avoid incoming connections on.  Or remove their start up from /etc/passwd
>(or comment them out of inet.conf if you are using that).

That was my first thought too, but it seems like overkill.  He only
wants to disable outbound connections from that one machine. Using
daemon removal as his solution would require removing those daemons
from all other connectable machines but the one, which may be more
disabling than he wishes. There may be some pairs of machines he does
not wish to disable.

Much simpler would be to just turn off the 's' bit on the rlogin, etc,
programs.  It won't matter if users make their own copies of these
programs, as their corresponding servers are listening on privileged
ports, and if the process attempting the connection is not running as
root, it can not succeed.

Of course this fails if they have a zillion roots, but then they would
have little opportunity for security anyway.