[comp.dcom.lans] XNS vs. TCP/IP

shapiro@oucs.UUCP (01/30/87)

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A decision is about to be made here about conversion from XNS to TCP/IP
protocols on our Bridge/Honeywell fiber-optic LAN/WAN. The original
intent was to provide campus wide access to our IBM (and some DEC) mainframe
computer systems. Now there is talk about converting from XNS on the Bridge
equipment to the TCP/IP protocol. Apparently this DOD standard is going to
be used on a statewide research computer system.

Does anyone know of any drawbacks to using TCP/IP (ie. performance) that
my higher ups should be made aware of? What benefits might this bring?
Can anyone send me a description of XNS vs. TCP/IP. What benefit are we really
going to see since we are not currently involved in any other network
that makes use of TCP/IP?

Any help that Someone might be able to give would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks in advance...

Brian Shapiro
Ohio University
Computing and Learning Services
Haning Hall
Athens, Ohio  45701

(614) 593-1608

UUCP:        !cbatt!oucs!shapiro
BITNET:      SHAPIROB@OUACCVMA
FIDO:        Brian Shapiro at 126/110

Definition:  Microchips - what's left in the bottom of the bag after my
                          wife finds the potatoe chips.........

Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are worth about as much as they
             cost!

bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (02/02/87)

In article <470@oucs.OHIOU.EDU> shapiro@oucs.OHIOU.EDU (Brian Shapiro) writes:
>Apparently this DOD standard is going to be used on a statewide
>research computer system.

Yup, it would be quite convenient for you to be able to get into all
the facilities here, and for OSU folks to get to facilities elsewhere.
That's what the TCP/IP standards are good for.  In that particular
environment (widely-distributed networks) things are getting better
understood all the time, and a lot of problems are pretty much solved.
Notice, I didn't say that all the problems are completely solved, but
there's quite a group working on them.

>Does anyone know of any drawbacks to using TCP/IP (ie. performance)
>that my higher ups should be made aware of?

For your specific application, you might inquire of the experts at
`tcp-ip@nic.sri.com' (== mod.protocols.tcp-ip).  They have quite a bit
of aggregate experience with the stuff you may be working with.

>What benefits might this bring?

Standardization and connectivity to the wider world, and new learning
opportunities about the headaches inherent therein :-)

>Can anyone send me a description of XNS vs. TCP/IP. What benefit are
>we really going to see since we are not currently involved in any
>other network that makes use of TCP/IP?

Again, ask The Wise Ones at tcp-ip.  In your situation it looks like a
wash locally, but possibly a lot of benefit in the long haul.
--
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277