[comp.dcom.lans] SUN to Metheus ethernet connect

ittfb@dcatla.UUCP (02/04/87)

We have a number of SUN systems all on an ethernet.  Our CAD
group uses a Metheus (4.1BSD, 68K) machine sold by ComputerVision
and would like to be able to talk to our SUNs over the e-net.
We put each other in our /etc/hosts file, but nothing works
(well, actually rwho on the SUNs knows about the Metheus).
Have we overlooked something?  rlogins, etc. hang and time out.
Folks at CV say it may be a problem with the internet number
(we use the SUN default 192.9.200.nnn) and they suggest that
the '200' may need to be less than 100.  Is this a restriction
in 4.1?  Any help would be appreciated.  Please respond by
email.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Blakely
{akgua,gatech}!dcatla!ittfb

melohn@sluggo.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <151@dcatla.UUCP> ittfb@dcatla.UUCP (Tom Blakely) writes:
>We have a number of SUN systems all on an ethernet.  Our CAD
>group uses a Metheus (4.1BSD, 68K) machine sold by ComputerVision
>and would like to be able to talk to our SUNs over the e-net.
>We put each other in our /etc/hosts file, but nothing works
>(well, actually rwho on the SUNs knows about the Metheus).
>Have we overlooked something?  rlogins, etc. hang and time out.

Sounds like your 4.1 system doesn't respond to ARP requests. You probably
need to manually add ARP table entries on the sun for the 4.1 system. See
the arp man pages for more information.