[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet<-->SNA interconnect

osm@cosivax.UUCP (02/05/87)

We are in the process of connecting a large SNA network with many, many
desktop PC's and a number of Sun workstation ethernet rings.  The PC
connection is reasonably straightforward (as opposed to simple), but we
are in the dark about connecting the Sun and SNA networks.  We would
like to be able to have 3270 emulation and LU 6.2 services available
for applications running on the Suns.  The ability to do file transfers
between various IBM mainframes and the Suns is essential.

Does anyone know of products which would be helpful in this endeavor?

Please send reponses to me and I will summarize for the net.

			Owen Medd
--
UUCP:     {mit-eddie,seismo!umix,ihnp4}!umich!cosivax!osm

melohn@sluggo.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <253@cosivax.UUCP> osm@cosivax.UUCP (Owen S. Medd) writes:

>We are in the process of connecting a large SNA network with many, many
>desktop PC's and a number of Sun workstation ethernet rings.  The PC
>connection is reasonably straightforward (as opposed to simple), but we
>are in the dark about connecting the Sun and SNA networks.

Sun offers 3270 emulation and file transfer as part of the Sunlink series
of datacommunication products. Ask your salesperson for more info on
Sunlink-SNA/3270.

bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <253@cosivax.UUCP> osm@cosivax.UUCP (Owen S. Medd) writes:
>We are in the process of connecting a large SNA network with many,
>many desktop PC's and a number of Sun workstation ethernet rings.

Is an `Ethernet ring' a new protocol development?  Is it neat nifty
Sunlink gatewaying hardware that Sun hasn't told anybody about?  :-)
--
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277