[comp.dcom.lans] Netbios support on Decnet

slf@well.UUCP (03/03/87)

I have a note here saying that a Btisish (British, ssorry) magazine says
Decnet will support Netbios by the end of the year.  Does anybody have
any confirmation of this?  Thanks.

klr@hadron.UUCP (03/03/87)

In article <2688@well.UUCP> slf@well.UUCP (Sharon Lynne Fisher) writes:

>I have a note here saying that a Btisish (British, ssorry) magazine says
>Decnet will support Netbios by the end of the year.  Does anybody have
>any confirmation of this?  Thanks.

From the March 2, 1987 issue of _COMPUTERWORLD_, on page 35 is an article
entitled "DEC may add Netbios interface"

	 ...according to DEC's Charles Monk, product manager for the
	 Vaxmate here (London).  Monk says the company may include
	 Netbios in Version 2 of Decnet DOS, which is due for release
	 this fall.

	 "It's not a certainty, but it is very possible", he maintains.

 Kurt Reisler (703) 359-6100
 UNISIG Chairman, DECUS US Chapter                       | Hadron, Inc.
 ..{seismo|sundc|rlgvax|dtix|decuac}!hadron!klr          | 9990 Lee Highway
 Sysop, Fido 109/74  The Bear's Den   (703) 671-0598     | Suite 481
 Sysop, Fido 109/483 The Pot of Gold  (703) 359-6549     | Fairfax, VA 22030

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (03/06/87)

In article <2688@well.UUCP> slf@well.UUCP (Sharon Lynne Fisher) writes:

>I have a note here saying that a Btisish (British, ssorry) magazine says
>Decnet will support Netbios by the end of the year.  Does anybody have
>any confirmation of this?  Thanks.

I thought that DEC's VAXMate plans included NETBIOS across DECNET,
using DECNET Transport Protocol. Since DECDOS is a subset of VAXMate,
this ought to be possible.