[comp.dcom.lans] Beginner networking questions

msr@bunker.UUCP (03/05/87)

I'm in the process of looking at some lan software/hardware for some
VAX 780's (yes, there are 780's out there without ethernet) and PC clones.

I'd appreciate if some kind souls would share their experiences with
hardware/software vendors for:

	. Ethernet cards for the VAX
	. NFS from wherever (including Ultrix 2.0)
	. Anyone using NFS on a PC ?
	. Anyone using FREEDOMNET ?

Also any words of wisdom about some of the boards with some of the TCP/IP
protocol on them ?  Specifically, would I have problems between an
Excelan Exos 204 and a DEC DELUA ?

				Thanks in advance,

--

Mike Romaniw - Bunker Ramo/Olivetti, Shelton, CT - (203)337-1407
uucp address: ...{decvax,philabs,ittatc}!bunker!msr

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (03/05/87)

In article <1612@bunker.UUCP>, msr@bunker.UUCP (Michael S. Romaniw) writes:
> I'd appreciate if some kind souls would share their experiences with
> hardware/software vendors for:
>
> 	. Ethernet cards for the VAX
DEC	DEQNA, DELUA
Interlan N1010A
Excelan
> Also any words of wisdom about some of the boards with some of the TCP/IP
> protocol on them ?  Specifically, would I have problems between an
> Excelan Exos 204 and a DEC DELUA ?

The TCP/IP on the EXCELAN board is INFERIOR.  You'd be happier with
the TCP/IP supported on the VAX under ULTRIX (4.2).  It doesn't cause
that much of a load on the machine.

-Ron

jhc@mtune.UUCP (03/07/87)

In article <679@brl-sem.ARPA> ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
>The TCP/IP on the EXCELAN board is INFERIOR.

Perhaps you could expand on this comment? I have SV and therefore am
pretty much stuck, short of going to v9 and using the streams IP/TCP
driver. Comparisons with the CMC board?
--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC,attmail]!mtune!jhc

My walk has become rather more silly lately.

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (03/10/87)

In article <1021@mtune.ATT.COM>, jhc@mtune.ATT.COM (Jonathan Clark) writes:
> In article <679@brl-sem.ARPA> ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
> >The TCP/IP on the EXCELAN board is INFERIOR.
>
> Perhaps you could expand on this comment? I have SV and therefore am
> pretty much stuck, short of going to v9 and using the streams IP/TCP
> driver. Comparisons with the CMC board?
> --

Well, first, when compared to the native 4.2 TCP code it is underwelming.
There is no real reason not to do it in software.

Now for machines that do not have software TCP available, boards like
the Excelan and CMCs are the only way to go.  I haven't had any experience
with the CMC board, but they seem to be a much sharper company.  The
Excelan boards went through a number of different problems with the
firmware.  Most of these were supposed to have been resolved (at least
it no longer crashes when it receives packets from off the local net),
however, our Silicon Graphics Iris processors have these boards still.
We have one 310 system with a CMC board and its been pretty well scrutinized
by one of the TCP experts, and he doesn't have much problmes with it.

-Ron

wsmith@umn-cs.UUCP (03/13/87)

About Excelan cards:

and in response to a question about non-BSD systems writes:

>Well, first, when compared to the native 4.2 TCP code it is underwelming.
>There is no real reason not to do it in software.
>
>Now for machines that do not have software TCP available, boards like
>the Excelan and CMCs are the only way to go.  I haven't had any experience
>with the CMC board, but they seem to be a much sharper company.  The
>Excelan boards went through a number of different problems with the
>firmware.  Most of these were supposed to have been resolved (at least
>it no longer crashes when it receives packets from off the local net),
>however, our Silicon Graphics Iris processors have these boards still.
>We have one 310 system with a CMC board and its been pretty well scrutinized
>by one of the TCP experts, and he doesn't have much problmes with it.
>
>-Ron

It should be noted that the software for the VAX/VMS on an Excelan card
is quite a bit better than for the IRIS.  When you buy for a VAX, you buy
from Excelan and get the newest software.  When you get an IRIS (we have
several) you get the software SGI gives you (which is AGES old Excelan
stuff).  Silicon Graphics newest software release supposedly incorporates
the newer Excelan code.

Randy Smith
wsmith@umn-cs.arpa
...!ihnp4!umn-cs!wsmith

vjs@sgi.UUCP (03/15/87)

In article <57700002@umn-cs.UUCP>, wsmith@umn-cs.UUCP writes:
> It should be noted that the software for the VAX/VMS on an Excelan card
> is quite a bit better than for the IRIS.  When you buy for a VAX, you buy
> from Excelan and get the newest software.  When you get an IRIS (we have
> several) you get the software SGI gives you (which is AGES old Excelan
> stuff).  Silicon Graphics newest software release supposedly incorporates
> the newer Excelan code.
>
> Randy Smith
> wsmith@umn-cs.arpa
> ...!ihnp4!umn-cs!wsmith

The much of the preceding is not true, tho a year ago it was less untrue.
- In ages past, we used Excelan's 4.1a-bsd TCP in their board.  It was the
	most current stuff we could get.  I trust Excelan has better now, but
	that no longer affects SGI or our current customers.
- Since 3.5/2.5, the IRIS uses 4.3bsd networking.  Some of the user code is
	from the 4.3beta tape, but all of the kernel code is 'real' 4.3, with
	IF_NET domain sockets, select(2), network ioctl()'s, and everything.
	It includes the 'three important bug fixes' for 4.3 published last
	fall.  IRIS XNS is still available.  (The IRIS 3.5/2.5 kernel is
	System 5, with lots of 'other' stuff.)
- The link-level driver for the Excelan board still used in IRIS 3000's and
	2000's is derived from a 4.3bsd VAX Excelan link-level driver.  The
	major changes were to improve performance.
- We are currently shipping 3.5r2.
- We have measured RCP transfer rates comparable to our XCP rates, which
	are quite respectable.
- Since 3.5, Sun Microsystems' NFS is available for the IRIS.  We are pleased
	with the performance of our NFS implementation.  3000's served by
	3030's with Eagles can certainly do lots of compiling and system
	building.
- 3.5 serial I/O is much improved.  I have transfered large files using dumb
	things like 'cat /dev/ttym2 > /tmp/foo' at 38,400 bit/sec, and lost
	at most 1 or 2 bytes every 30 seconds as update sync's the disk.
	9600, even using such stupid 'protocols' as cat-ing to disk, is clean.
	(Since then, we have reduced the latency caused by disk cache
	flushing.  It also helps to use raw instead of cooked mode.)
- Our uucp/usenet gateway is currently a 3030, connected to a network of
	hundreds of workstations, running SMTP, XNS, UUCP, RIP (routed), and
	NFS.  (For 6 months, it was a 'bubble', which is not even a 1400!)
	We use IRIS workstations to gateway among ethernets.

Please, upgrade your IRISes.

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics, 2011 Stierlin Rd, Mtn.View, CA 94043
vjs@sgi.com     or   {pyramid,ucbvax,adobe,sun,ames,mips}!sgi!vjs