[comp.dcom.lans] mixing Ethernet V1 and V2

chris@columbia.UUCP (Chris Maio) (03/17/87)

Is there any hardware available to allow the interconnection of Ethernet V1 and
V2/802.3 controllers without the reliability problems introduced by having both
V1 and V2 transceivers attached to the same cable?

Specifically, what's the best way to connect computers with Ethernet V1
controllers (e.g. a Symbolics 3600) to a thinwire ethernet?  Do there exist
either multiport repeaters or multiport transceivers that are capable of
adapting V1 controllers to V2/802.3 transceivers, or vice versa?  Or thinwire
transceivers that will talk to V1 controllers?  Thanks.
--
Chris Maio, chris@columbia.edu or seismo!columbia!chris

kdd@bridge2.bridge (Kim D. Dimick) (03/18/87)

In article <4472@columbia.UUCP>, chris@columbia.UUCP (Chris Maio) writes:
> Is there any hardware available to allow the interconnection of Ethernet V1 and
> V2/802.3 controllers without the reliability problems introduced by having both
> V1 and V2 transceivers attached to the same cable?
>
> Specifically, what's the best way to connect computers with Ethernet V1
> controllers (e.g. a Symbolics 3600) to a thinwire ethernet?  Do there exist
> either multiport repeaters or multiport transceivers that are capable of
> adapting V1 controllers to V2/802.3 transceivers, or vice versa?  Or thinwire
> transceivers that will talk to V1 controllers?  Thanks.
> --
> Chris Maio, chris@columbia.edu or seismo!columbia!chris

Chris

We have been using TCL V1 transceivers for thin ethernet and the TCL
multiport transceiver will allow you to mix the modules in a unit.
The main interface board can be 802.3 and the other boards can be
a mix or vice versa.

If you want to talk about this more give me a call at (415) 969-4400
Kim Dimick  Bridge Comm. Mt. View