[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet collision detection/voltages

ccruss@deneb.UUCP (03/13/87)

There were a couple of questions about voltages on the Ethernet cable and
how collisions were detected. Hopefully this may help.

Ethernet  or IEEE  802.3 uses  an access  method know  as Carrier Sense,
Multiple  Access with Collision Detection (CSMA/CD). This simply means a
device  can talk on  the cable as  long as no  other device is currently
talking  on it and if two devices talk at the same time, it is detected,
and they both stop and try again later.

In  802.3 the carrier is a data edge, a transition  of 0 to 1 or 1 to 0,
on the cable. This edge is guaranteed to occur within 75 and 125 percent
of a bit period, measured from the center of the last bit. A method know
as  Manchester encoding is used  on 802.3. In this  encoding scheme, the
first  half of the  data bit is  the inverse of  the bit value,  and the
second  half is the true bit value.  Manchester encoding is used because
it  allows easy recovery of the clock,  and creates a datastream that is
equal number of high and low states on the cable.

A  logic high is represented on the cable  by 2.05 volts. A logic low is
represented  by 0 volts. Since the  datastream consists of equal numbers
of  high and  low, the  average voltage  on the  cable when  a signal is
present  stays right around 1  volt. When no device  is using the cable,
the  average voltage is 0 volts. When two devices are using the cable at
the  same time, there are no longer equal numbers of high and low states
and the average voltage rises above 1 volt. The transceiver will send an
alarm to the device when the average voltage exceeds a certain threshold
(typically 1.5 volts). The alarm indicates a collision to the device and
the device stops sending data. Retransmission delays are in multiples of
512  bit  times  and  range  up  to  1023  times  this  unit  of  delay.

                                Russell Hobby
                         Data Communications Manager
     U. C. Davis
     Computing Services       BITNET:    RDHOBBY@UCDAVIS
     Davis Ca 95616           UUCP:      ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!rdhobby
     (916) 752-0236           INTERNET:  ucdavis!rdhobby@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

rdt@houxv.UUCP (03/15/87)

Question: How long after the 50% 1's density is violated does
	 it take for the collsion detector to go off?

wam@cdx39.UUCP (Bill MacLeod x7520) (03/19/87)

In article <551@houxv.UUCP>, rdt@houxv.UUCP (R.TRAUBEN) writes:
> Question: How long after the 50% 1's density is violated does
> 	 it take for the collsion detector to go off?
in this article, I answer: beween 9 and 29 bit times.  That's
up to 2.9 microseconds, depending on how far away and feeble the
interfering station is...

IEEE 802.3 working group on System Topology could help you here;
I understand they even have a spreadsheet for delay budgets...

--
	Bill MacLeod           telephone: 617/364-2000x7520
Email: ...{cthulhu,inmet,harvax,mit-eddie,mot[bos],rclex}!cdx39!wam