[comp.dcom.lans] Novell Netware non-dedicated server

zu@ethz.UUCP (03/16/87)

In article <1271@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> mobo@sphinx.UUCP (Samuel Wilson) writes:
>And now check out a new Novell thing called Non-dedicated /286 Netware.
>It runs Netware in extended memory > 640K (we have a cheapo and highly
>recommendable board called a Chess-board with 4Meg in it).  The DOS

I was at the Hannover faire about a week ago. At least at one booth
they told me that the new non-dedicated server software will run
only on Novell servers and on true IBM-PC/AT's. They said they've
tested it with somy clones - among them Victor and NCR - and none
worked !!

Anyone has some experiences on that subject?

		...urs

PS: I hope you know: Rumours have it that rumours are just that - rumours.

mobo@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Samuel Wilson) (03/20/87)

In article <38@ethz.UUCP> zu@ethz.UUCP (Urs Zurbuchen) writes:

>In article <1271@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> mobo@sphinx.UUCP (Samuel Wilson) writes:
>>And now check out a new Novell thing called Non-dedicated /286 Netware.
>
>they told me that the new non-dedicated server software will run
>only on Novell servers and on true IBM-PC/AT's.
>Anyone has some experiences on that subject?
>		...urs

Our sad-but-t. experience is that what you heard is true.  So far
we have tried WYSE /286, Cordata AT and (er, um) the IBM XT 286,
and the stuff works only on the latter.  Catch #2 is that if you
get an enhanced AT (non-dedicated netware 286 can run at 8 and
10 Mhz, by the way) you had better get a better drive than the one
that comes with that machine to be a file server.  Seems like the
optimal deal at present is a 6 Mhz AT, an 8Mhz or better turbo
switch, and a 30 m.s. or better drive.  (and extended mem)
('course if you copy the IBM ROM you could . . . mmph. . rmphw. . .

**attention**
Mr. Wilson was unable to complete this message because of problems
of a personal nature.
*************

Samuel Wilson         ..ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!mobo
                            FOTMOBO@UCHMVS1.Bitnet
University of Chicago, Division of Social Sciences

brad@interlan.UUCP (03/20/87)

In article <38@ethz.UUCP> zu@ethz.UUCP (Urs Zurbuchen) writes:
>>And now check out a new Novell thing called Non-dedicated /286 Netware.
>I was at the Hannover faire about a week ago. At least at one booth
>they told me that the new non-dedicated server software will run
>only on Novell servers and on true IBM-PC/AT's. They said they've
>tested it with somy clones - among them Victor and NCR - and none
>worked !!

It does NOT work on Wyse or MITAC AT Clones or on a 6mhz IBM-AT
The 6Mhz may just be a hardware problem in the one box we tried.

--

Brad Kemp
MICOM-Interlan