[comp.dcom.lans] Banyon & Novell

fetrow@entropy.UUCP (03/22/87)

 We're putting in a set of two logical networks using IBM ATs that share the
same hardware: TCP/IP will be with locally modified M.I.T. code but we also
need an "office" type system. The two top contenders (possibly due to ignorance)
are Novell/286 and Banyon Vines (the system will be ethernet using MICOM
NI-5010s). There have been a lot of (mostly nice) things said about Novell on
the net but little mention of Vines. If someone out there is using it I'd be
delighted to hear from you.

 We do know of at least one company that supports TCP/IP on Novell but that
proved too expensive and didn't support the MICOM boards that, for a variety
of reasons, are what we will be using.

 Please help!

--
  -Dave Fetrow-
  {ihnp4,tektronix}!uw-beaver!entropy!fetrow 	:UUCP

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (03/23/87)

In article <556@entropy.ms.washington.edu>, fetrow@entropy.ms.washington.edu (David Fetrow) writes:
> There have been a lot of (mostly nice) things said about Novell on
> the net but little mention of Vines. If someone out there is using it I'd be
> delighted to hear from you.

  PC Magazine is running what I believe is a good series of articles on LAN
  alternatives; Vines has been covered.

  Does anyone out there, with a good understanding of networks, have an opin-
  ion on the quality of these articles ?  They appear to me to be much better
  and more informative than most of what PC Magazine prints.  But I don't know
  if that is simply because I know very little about LANS.  Are the articles
  accurate, at least ?

      thanks, greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny