[comp.dcom.lans] Arpanet-Ethernet Gateway

martillo@bacchus.UUCP (03/28/87)

I am looking for an arpanet to ethernet gateway.  The only restriction
is that the words DEC, PDP-11, or VAX not be on the box.  The box may
contain any sort of DEC equipment.

Joachim Martillo

ted@blia.UUCP (03/29/87)

In article <382@bacchus.MIT.EDU>, martillo@athena.mit.edu (Yakim Martillo) writes:
> I am looking for an arpanet to ethernet gateway.  The only restriction
> is that the words DEC, PDP-11, or VAX not be on the box.  The box may
> contain any sort of DEC equipment.

Not to pry, but why? This sounds like a very curious restriction (like maybe
a rabid anti-DEC high muckety-muck).

            Ted Marshall
            Britton Lee, Inc.
p-mail:     14600 Winchester Blvd, Los Gatos, Ca 95030
voice:      (408)378-7000
uucp:       ...!ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!ted
ARPA:       mtxinu!blia!ted@Berkeley.EDU
disclaimer: These opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my employer;
            I leave them alone and they leave me alone.

fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (03/30/87)

If you are talking about ARPANET in the sense of 1822 or X.25 IMP (or
"PSN"; they're the same thing) interfaces, then there are a couple of
products that will satisfy your requirement. I suggest that you contact:

	Proteon, Inc.
	Natick, MA

	Communication Machinery Corp.
	Santa Barbara, CA

	SUN Microsystems, Inc.
	Mountain View, CA

	Advanced Computer Communications
	Santa Barbara, CA

The first two companies make gateway products for connecting one or
more ethernets to the DDN (ARPANET or MILNET), and a SUN can also be
used as a gateway between DDN and an ethernet. ACC makes 1822 and X.25
host interfaces for lots of different equipment, and you can
concievably "roll-your-own-gateway" with their interfaces in
combination with some computer manufacturer's CPU (you mentioned DEC,
and either PDP-11s or VAX-11s can be used for this).

There is a file available for public FTP from the Network Information
Center (NIC.SRI.COM) called NETINFO:IMPLEMENTATIONS.TXT which contains
the names, addresses and points of contact for all known TCP/IP
implementations. It is large, but very useful.

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu