[comp.dcom.lans] Info needed on 15

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (04/14/87)

I am about to tie some systems together via 802.3 Ethernet, and was
wondering if someone could point me to a spec for the DB connectors
(and cable) used to connect these monsters. (The machines are a
pair of Convergent MiniFrames).

Hints at horror stories also welcome.

--
Lyndon Nerenberg  ...!{seismo!mnetor,ihnp4(ha!),ubc-vision}!alberta!ncc!lyndon
		  {pyramid,winfree}!ncc!lyndon

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (04/14/87)

In article <1391@ncc.UUCP> lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>I am about to tie some systems together via 802.3 Ethernet, and was
>wondering if someone could point me to a spec for the DB connectors
>(and cable) used to connect these monsters. (The machines are a
>pair of Convergent MiniFrames).

I think the cable and the connectors are described well in the 802.3
spec. Specific vendors who sell product include Belden, Amp, and
Amphenol.  DEC puts out an EXCELLENT two volume handbook on Ethernet
planning and installation.  I can not recommend it too highly. In it
are step by step procedures for doing all the little things from
installing DEC transceivers, making transceiver cables, terminating
trunk cable, pulling trunk cable, grounding trunk cable, etc. And they
tell you all the tools you need, vendors, and part numbers. I found a
wonderful cable cutter that cuts the trunk cable cleanly and quickly.
And it is cheap if you buy it from the vendor. Black box has it also
but they charge three times as much. I found crimp on trunk cable
connectors that don't fall off. I found all the various crimp tools so
that I don't have to teach my technicians how to solder. (and worry
about how to inspect their work)

In addition, both Belden and DEC sell premade AUI cables. (Belden also
sells the best trunk cable) For short runs, like when you have a DELNI
in the computer room, the DEC office transceiver cable is very nice.

The premade stuff may seem expensive at first but it saves you a lot
of time. It is also very well made. And I'm lazy.

As for horror stories, Bridge Communications does not conform to 802.3
with their AUI cable connector. The only way to get a good fit is to
disassemble your cable connector and adjust the number of washers.
The problem is that they conform to a very old Ethernet spec and never
upgraded to work with 802.3. I spoke to the hardware manager and he
was very abusive about my "petty request". Later on it seemed he was
in the process of being overridden by his management but I do not know
if the correction has been released yet. We are looking real hard at
other vendors anyway since we are so disappointed with their TCP/IP
(they don't implement the mandatory ICMP, for example) and their ideas
on network management (or lack thereof) in general and their terminal
servers and routers in particular. I guess having a hostile customer
engineer didn't make me like them any better either. Fortunately there
are plenty of other vendors in the business.

--
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com