[comp.dcom.lans] Info needed on DELNI-like products for use with AT

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) (04/25/87)

I'm looking for a list of "ethernet in a box" products/vendors (e.g.
DEC DELNI).  The products should be capable of running in an AT/Xenix
environment.

Thanks for your trouble.
--

Regards,

George Hart, Computer X Canada Ltd.
UUCP: utzoo
	    >!mnetor!george
      seismo
BELL: (416)475-8980

hedrick@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Charles Hedrick) (04/27/87)

Our standard recommendation for Ethernet-in-a-box is from TCL.  It
allows up to 8 ports.  Disadvantages are very slow delivery and
somewhat larger size than more recent designs.  But the other products
we have tried all seem to have glitches of one sort or another, and
this does not.  (In a similar reply a few weeks ago, I indicated that
we were trying Cabletron, and theirs looked good.  I am withdrawing
that comment temporarily until we investigate some problems shown up
in our testing.)

grs@houxa.UUCP (G.SILLS) (04/28/87)

In article <4090@mnetor.UUCP>, george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) writes:
> I'm looking for a list of "ethernet in a box" products/vendors (e.g.
> DEC DELNI).  The products should be capable of running in an AT/Xenix
> environment.

DEC's DELNI is a piece of connector hardware that allows multiple
devices to connect to the ethernet coax cable through one transciever.

It also allows for a "coaxless" ethernet systems.

In general, the DELNI is a bunch of transformers, it does not provide
any handling of any ethernet protocol.

	Glenn Sills MV-BTL

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) (04/29/87)

In article <395@houxa.UUCP> grs@houxa.UUCP (G.SILLS) writes:
>In article <4090@mnetor.UUCP>, george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) writes:
>> I'm looking for a list of "ethernet in a box" products/vendors (e.g.
>> DEC DELNI).  The products should be capable of running in an AT/Xenix
>> environment.
>
>DEC's DELNI is a piece of connector hardware that allows multiple
>devices to connect to the ethernet coax cable through one transciever.

Yup.

>It also allows for a "coaxless" ethernet systems.

Yup.

>In general, the DELNI is a bunch of transformers, it does not provide
>any handling of any ethernet protocol.
>
>	Glenn Sills MV-BTL

Certainly true for the DELNI sitting on my shelf.

I understand what a DELNI does, I'm merely trying to learn of other,
similar products.  Sorry if the "ethernet in a box" nomenclature was
confusing.
--

Regards,

George Hart, Computer X Canada Ltd.