[comp.dcom.lans] DEC Ethernet books

phil@amdcad.UUCP (04/28/87)

There were a lot of responses expressing interest in the DEC Ethernet
books I mentioned a few weeks ago, all of them saying "my salesman
doesn't know how to order it, could you please send me the part
number?" I don't know what the problem with DEC is. It reminds me of
the mythical DELNI rack mount brackets. I still haven't seen any of
these, by the way. But I do have information on the Ethernet books (I
forget what the price is.):

Ethernet Installation Guide
Volume 1
	Site Survey and Configuration Plan
	EK-ETHV1-IN-003
Volume 2
	Installation and Testing
	EK-ETHV2-IN-003
--
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

howard@cos.UUCP (04/28/87)

In article <16396@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
> There were a lot of responses expressing interest in the DEC Ethernet
> books I mentioned a few weeks ago, all of them saying "my salesman
> doesn't know how to order it, could you please send me the part
> number?" I don't know what the problem with DEC is. It reminds me of
> the mythical DELNI rack mount brackets. I still haven't seen any of
> these, by the way.

We had the same problem with both DELNIs and DEMPRs.
We gave up and ordered them with the standard DECdirect
part number, assuming we could make brackets.  When
the equipment arrived, brackets were in the box,
or flanges became obvious when we removed the cover.

Another good set of references, especially for ThinWire,
are the DECconnect books:

DECconnect System General Info EK-DECSY-GD-PRE

"            "    Planning & Configuration Guide
                    EK-DECSY-CG-001

"            "    Installation & Verification Guide
                    EK-DECSY-VG-001

We are implementing a heavily modified DECconnect system
(basically the faceplates, modified to allow daisy chaining,
and DEMPRs and DELNIs).  Problems such as the inability
to identify the sheet metal to rack mount the standard
patch panels caused us to go with non-DEC racks and
cross-connects in the equipment rooms.

Any other DECconnect people out there?

dd@ariel.UUCP (04/30/87)

In article <16396@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:

>...I don't know what the problem with DEC is. It reminds me of
>the mythical DELNI rack mount brackets. I still haven't seen any of
>these, by the way.

Ha! I have seen the light! -- well, or at least the mythical DELNI
rackmount brackets.  UNM has adopted a modified version of DEC's
"DEConnect System" as an in-building wiring scheme for mew buildings.

When you buy their racks, THEN, AND ONLY THEN (as far as I can figure out)
do you get these brackets.

After all, why would DEC want you to rackmount their DELNIs in someone
else's rack? :-)

-Don Doerner-
UNM Computing Center