[comp.dcom.lans] Thin Ethernet drop cables

bob@nih-csl.UUCP (04/22/87)

     The original thin Ethernet specification calls for a host to
be connected directly to the segment trunk; i.e., no drop cable
allowed between the segment and host.  Could anyone comment on the
use of a tee-connector on the thin segment with a length of RG-58
coax connected to the host?  This makes a much neater, more desirable
connection for office space LAN design, but does it significantly
degrade network performance? Is this practice taboo?  Will I grow
warts if I try it?

                              Bob Dew
                              Division of Computer Research and Technology
                              National Institutes of Health
                              Bethesda, Maryland  20894
                              (301) 496-5361

foster@seismo.UUCP (04/23/87)

What you're proposing is officially a no-no, however I have heard (from
a 3Com salesman) that people have tried it and gotten away with it but
the practical limit seems to be about 3 feet.  His position is "try it,
if it doesn't work, go by the spec."

There is also a "legal" way to do drop cables with thin ethernet but it
requires the additional cost of xcvrs and xcvr cables.  There is an
adaptor (looks like a barrel connector that is threaded on one end)
that allows a TCL "vampire" transceiver to be attached to a "T"
connector in thin ethernet.  I've tried these and they work fine.

Can anyone tell me if the wires in a xcvr cable are "special" in any
way?  If I were to make up a cable from high quality "RS-232C" "type"
cable (AWG 22 I think, maybe 24's) would I have a reasonable chance of
success?  The xcvr cable conductors appear to be AWG 20 to my untrained
eye, perhaps if I doubled the 22/24's?  My reason for wanting to do
this?  I have about 30 unused "serial" cables (12 conductor) running
through a secure area and it would be a lot easier to rewire the ends
than to run new cables through the area.

Thanks in advance,
Glen

preuss@mimsy.UUCP (04/23/87)

Along these same lines, could you use a DEC DESTA to hook onto a thick
drop cable and hook a segment of thin to it?

thanks
donp
--
Uucp: ...seismo!umcp-cs!preuss
Arpa: 	 preuss@Maryland

wunder@hpcea.UUCP (04/24/87)

The Ethernet spec allows for 3cm stub to get from the center
conductor to the guts of the transceiver.  This includes wiring
inside the transciever.  The BNC tee eats up a lot of that 3cm.

If you put a drop cable on the tee, a wave on the coax will see
25 Ohms at that point, and half the volts will be reflected.  In
addition, half of the wave goes down the drop cable, and half the
wave goes down the coax.  So, you lose 75% of your signal at each
drop.

In practice, it works for the first two or three stations, then
everything falls apart.

Don't do it.

wunder

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (04/24/87)

In article <43715@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> foster@beno.CSS.GOV.UUCP (Glen Foster) writes:
>Can anyone tell me if the wires in a xcvr cable are "special" in any
>way?  If I were to make up a cable from high quality "RS-232C" "type"
>cable (AWG 22 I think, maybe 24's) would I have a reasonable chance of
>success?  The xcvr cable conductors appear to be AWG 20 to my untrained
>eye, perhaps if I doubled the 22/24's?

The considerations in the xcvr cable are:

1) dc resistance. you have to power the transceiver

2) ac signal attenuation. can't let the signal get too small.
note that you are driving lines terminated with 78 ohms

3) impedance. the characteristic impedance of the pairs (they are
twisted, aren't they?) shouldn't be too much different than 78 ohms or
reflections may be a problem

4) shielding. you don't want too much cross talk between the transmit
pair and the receive pair.

I wouldn't worry about esoteric stuff like velocity of propagation.

The requirements are all documented in the Ethernet book. The big
questions are 1) do you have shielded twisted pairs 2) how long is the
run? Assuming you do have shielded twisted pairs, I would look up the
spec and then see how the gauge of the existing wire compares with the
spec. If it isn't too outrageously different, I'd make up a cable and
try it. If it is too long but not more than twice as long, I'd try
doubling up the wires. Since you have 4 signals and only 12
conductors, I'd probably leave Collision as a single.

Best thing is to try one and see if it works.

--
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

tony@trlamct.UUCP (04/24/87)

Re:
> Comment on the use of a tee-connector on the thin ethernet segment with
> a length of coax connected to the host?  Will I grow warts if I try it?

YES.  The bus cable is a valuable shared resource that should be kept
reliable.  The wiring might be changed, such as adding another node, or
someone lengthening their cable. Then prior sins could manifest themselves
and GROW WARTS.

Adding open circuit stubs of coax that are significant fractions of a
wavelength long is liable to create highly reactive (capacitive or inductive)
line characteristics, especially at multiples of a quarter wavelength.
To avoid this, one could keep the stub less than say, a tenth of a wavelength,
and the line will appear slightly capacitive. A 100MHz component has a wave-
length of 3m ie. a cable of less than one foot.

We have two wall connectors per node, and thus each host has two cables
and a T piece. That is, lots of connectors per node and these are all in
series with the bus. The user can also inadvertently unplug a connector and
break the bus.

Apart from direct cables machine to machine, and securing the connectors,
there is no really neat way to implement thin ethernet that is simple and
safe.  The brochures (wrongly) make it sound trivial.
--
	Tony Thomas,	Applied Mathematics & Computer Techniques
			 Telecom Australia Research Laboratories,

fey@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu.UUCP (04/24/87)

Yes, our standard wiring for thinwire hookup includes this method.
A DESTA connection to RG-58 via BNC connectors works fine.
-mlf-

parker@epiwrl.UUCP (Alan Parker) (04/25/87)

Is there a good source of information about the rules of Thin Ethernet?
Things like  length of runs, methods of taps, etc.  Thanks.

Alan Parker, Entropic Processing, Inc. ...!seimso!epiwrl!parker

> Best thing is to try one and see if it works.

But if it does work and you put it into use, for heaven's sake document
it prominently so your successor will know that something nonstandard
has been done!
--
"If you want PL/I, you know       Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
where to find it." -- DMR         {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

stevel@dartvax.UUCP (04/28/87)

In article <470001@hpcea.HP.COM> wunder@hpcea.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) writes:
>The Ethernet spec allows for 3cm stub to get from the center
>conductor to the guts of the transceiver.  This includes wiring
>inside the transciever.  The BNC tee eats up a lot of that 3cm.
                          -----------
I wonder why Cheapernet boards always need tees.  I'm building
a Ethernet/Cheapnet board, and I'm putting TWO BNC connectors
on it.  Will this work?  If it doesn't, my fallback is to just
use one of the connectors, and add the tee...  I'll be back with
the results in a month or so.

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry F Aguirre) (05/01/87)

In article <6083@dartvax.UUCP> stevel@dartvax.UUCP (Steve Ligett) writes:
>I wonder why Cheapernet boards always need tees.  I'm building
>a Ethernet/Cheapnet board, and I'm putting TWO BNC connectors
>on it.  Will this work?  If it doesn't, my fallback is to just
>use one of the connectors, and add the tee...  I'll be back with
>the results in a month or so.

The problem with this method is that disconnecting the system will take
down the entire segment because you must interrupt the cable connection.
People are always disconnecting small systems to move or repair them.

With a "T" connector you can unscrew the "T" from the system without
interrupting service to the rest of that segment.  Of course the average
user is just as likely to unscrew both cables from the "T" as unscrew
the "T" from the system.

bdale@winfree.UUCP (Bdale Garbee) (05/08/87)

In article <907@oliveb.UUCP> jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry F Aguirre) writes:
>With a "T" connector you can unscrew the "T" from the system without
>interrupting service to the rest of that segment.  Of course the average
>user is just as likely to unscrew both cables from the "T" as unscrew
>the "T" from the system.

The fix for this is easy.  Two pieces of heat-shrink tubing.  It's not that
hard to remove if you ever "need" to unhook the two cables from the T, and
it leaves only one connection point for the user to choose from when unhooking
his machine to take home for the weekend...
--

Bdale Garbee, N3EUA		phone: 303/593-9828 h, 303/590-2868 w
uucp: {bellcore,crash,hp-lsd,hpcsma,ncc,pitt,usafa,vixie}!winfree!bdale