[comp.dcom.lans] PrtSc Function under 3COM 3+Share

showard@uccba.UUCP (Steve Howard) (05/06/87)

I'm running 3COM 3+Share Version 1.1  Does anybody know if there is a way
or a routine that can be used to enable the SHIFT-PRTSC function?

I just picked up a public domain program that prints 3-D graphs on the screen,
but the only way to print them is with the SHIFT-PRTSC key.  I would really like
to print these graphs from our LAN, but 3+ disables the prtsc function!!!

Steve Howard
US-MAIL: ML 130, Cincinnati, OH 45221-0130
UUCP: ...{pyramid,philabs!phri}!uccba!showard

neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (Steven C. Neighorn) (05/08/87)

In article <1170@uccba.UUCP> showard@uccba.UUCP (Steve Howard) writes:
>I'm running 3COM 3+Share Version 1.1  Does anybody know if there is a way
>or a routine that can be used to enable the SHIFT-PRTSC function?
>I just picked up a public domain program that prints 3-D graphs on the screen,
>but the only way to print them is with the SHIFT-PRTSC key.  I would really like
>to print these graphs from our LAN, but 3+ disables the prtsc function!!!
>Steve Howard
>US-MAIL: ML 130, Cincinnati, OH 45221-0130
>UUCP: ...{pyramid,philabs!phri}!uccba!showard

3COM somehow managed to break the print-screen function with their 3+
software. At Portland Schools, we have resorted to writing our own
screen dumper that uses the graphics mode to dump either text or
graphics screens. I would be glad to send you a disk with the software
on it if you wish. I should mention that the program works only with
Epson or Epson compatible printers. I hope this is not a problem for
you. Please let me know if I can help.

Rumor has it that Version 2.0 has fixed this problem. But we haven't
been able to find an easy upgrade path yet. Thanks 3COM.

--
Steven C. Neighorn                tektronix!{psu-cs,reed}!qiclab!neighorn
Portland Public Schools      "Where we train young Star Fighters to defend the

olds@3Com.COM (Chris Olds) (05/09/87)

We have a program that lets you do a prtsc while running 3+, but it only
works for text screen modes. If the program you want to run uses graphics
screens (i.e. requires graphics.com (?I think that is the name)), then
this program will not help you. If anyone wants a copy of this program
(uuencoded .com + doc), just send me mail. If anyone knows the "correct"
method for printing a graphics screen, please let me know so we can add
this to the program (code examples would speed this up).

Note that the lack of prtsc is NOT just a 3+ problem - all vendors using
the Microsoft redirector (including the PC LAN program) have this
restriction, we just did something about it.

	/cco

Chris Olds	olds@3Com.COM or olds%3Com.COM@SUN.COM	(internet)
		{sun,hplabs!oliveb}!3comvax!olds	(old uucp)
		olds@3Com.COM				(domainified uucp)
"3+? Yeah, I've heard of it - whaddya want to know?"

foster@seismo.CSS.GOV (Glen Foster) (05/09/87)

All LAN products that use the Microsoft Redirector code for network
peripheral sharing are unable to redirect a Shift-PrtSc screen dump to
a network printer.  There are several of these including 3Com's "3+"
series.  This is supposed to be fixed when OS/2 (or DOS 5.0) is
released.

Glen Foster

pat@sys1.TANDY.COM (05/13/87)

/* Written  3:53 pm  May  6, 1987 by showard@uccba.UUCP in sys1:comp.dcom.lans */
/* ---------- "PrtSc Function under 3COM 3+Share" ---------- */

I'm running 3COM 3+Share Version 1.1  Does anybody know if there is a way
or a routine that can be used to enable the SHIFT-PRTSC function?

I just picked up a public domain program that prints 3-D graphs on the screen,
but the only way to print them is with the SHIFT-PRTSC key.  I would really like
to print these graphs from our LAN, but 3+ disables the prtsc function!!!

Steve Howard
US-MAIL: ML 130, Cincinnati, OH 45221-0130
UUCP: ...{pyramid,philabs!phri}!uccba!showard
/* End of text from sys1:comp.dcom.lans */

pat@sys1.TANDY.COM (05/13/87)

/* Written  3:53 pm  May  6, 1987 by showard@uccba.UUCP in sys1:comp.dcom.lans */
/* ---------- "PrtSc Function under 3COM 3+Share" ---------- */

I'm running 3COM 3+Share Version 1.1  Does anybody know if there is a way
or a routine that can be used to enable the SHIFT-PRTSC function?

Steve Howard
US-MAIL: ML 130, Cincinnati, OH 45221-0130
UUCP: ...{pyramid,philabs!phri}!uccba!showard

This is a common redirector problem with 3Com and IBM lans.  Here are some
possible solutions:

(1) Use GRAPHICS.COM (if available for your CPU DOS version)
On my Tandy 1000s, I load the external program GRAPHICS.COM that comes with the
3.10 and 3.20 MS-DOS.  Then I can <SHIFT PRINT> to dump a graphics display to
the network spooler and print queue.  It then prints fine on the network's DMP.
As other notes have mentioned, this is for graphics screens only, not text.

(2) Use SPRTSC.COM from your 3Com dealer
Contact your 3Com dealer, or 3Com Customer Services Division.  They have
released SPRTSC.COM to answer this need.  In your station boot volume (diskette
or hard disk or network 3Start) add the command SPRTSC.COM to your autoexec
batch file.  This 2K resident program then can be activitated by pressing
<SHIFT PRTSC> to read the current screen display and write it to DOS.  Any
valid DOS item is supported: path:\filename, PRN, LPT2, or COM1 for example.
If your LPT1 port isn't linked to a network printer, you will hear a beep.
(PRTSC.COM should still be used too, as this is required to flush print data
to the network print service with some applications.  SPRTSC.COM doesn't
replace that utility.)  When SPRTSC.COM is loaded into memory, optional
parameters can be used to add a form feed following the print data; to append
data with an automatic form feed to separate screen displays; and to submit
the data to the DOS background PRINT routine.  The command can be repeated at
any time to change output device or parameters.

Patrick Dryden
	...ihnp4!sys1!nas!pat
Disclaim & datclaim:  this is information that I alone pass along to any
		      interested user;  contact dealers/vendors directly
		      for official information and support.

neighorn@qiclab.UUCP (05/15/87)

In article <43738@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> foster@beno.CSS.GOV.UUCP (Glen Foster) writes:
:All LAN products that use the Microsoft Redirector code for network
:peripheral sharing are unable to redirect a Shift-PrtSc screen dump to
:a network printer.  There are several of these including 3Com's "3+"
:series.  This is supposed to be fixed when OS/2 (or DOS 5.0) is
:released.
:
:Glen Foster

We just received 3Com's "3+" version 1.1 software, which includes a software
fix that allows the Shift-PrtSc to work. I installed this Wednesday and it
appears to work as advertised. By the way, the 1.1 software and installation
procedure is about a magnitude more comprehensive than the old 1.0 software,
which was like a trip through a fun-house, complete with 180 degree errors
in the manuals, missing procedure steps, and incomplete explantions of error
codes. Worst of all, 3COM doesn't want to talk to you unless you have a
multi-million dollar developer's agreement with them. Ok, so maybe I used
a blown-up figure there. It is actually only a few thousand.