[comp.dcom.lans] Cheapernet Help Needed

lee@srs.UUCP (Lee Hasiuk) (05/29/87)

We are moving to a new building, where we are required to use 'Plenum' type
cable for all runs which go through the suspended ceiling and not in metal
conduit.  Since our current Ethernet cable is PVC jacketed and not for plenum
use, I was thinking of replacing it with about 500' of Cheapernet cable.

I have a few questions which I hope someone out there can answer (by mail,
of course).

1) I would like to use Belden type 89907 cable.  Has anyone had experience with
   this wire (good or bad)?  Does anyone have a favorite Cheapernet cable with
   a source that has it in stock?  If they have connectors as well, that
   would be lovely.  Inmac, for example, does not!

2) The O.D. of this cable is something like .182, whereas most RG-58/U is .250.
   Can this work with ordinary BNC connectors, or do I have to special order
   Belden's suggestion of AMP 6-227079-7?  Does anyone know of a company who
   stocks this connector or any other Cheapernet compatible BNC?

3) Will Cheapernet cable work with the old style 3Com 3C100 (black brick)
   transcievers.  Of course, I will have to use N to BNC adapters, but
   do I need to use a special type?

Any other warnings or suggestions on the use of thin Ethernet cable will be
greatly appreciated.

Lee Hasiuk
seismo!rochester!srs!lee
(716) 266-9035

gnu@hoptoad.UUCP (06/04/87)

In article <234@srs.UUCP>, lee@srs.UUCP (Lee Hasiuk) writes:
> 3) Will Cheapernet cable work with the old style 3Com 3C100 (black brick)
>    transcievers.  Of course, I will have to use N to BNC adapters, but
>    do I need to use a special type?

Yes, it works fine; I use a brick to connect Hoptoad to Polliwog (our
sun-3/50).  Be sure to buy the N to BNC connectors from an electrical
supply house rather than from an "ethernet dealer", they will cost you
$1.50 rather than $30 apiece.  Ditto the terminating resistors, which
handily can be bought mounted on BNC connectors...

Cheapernet is certainly one of the better networking ideas.  I've heard
that cheapernet is what Xerox's Ethernet was like before DEC got
on the bandwagon and bulletproofed all the specs.  Of course, nobody
shoots bullets at Ethernets...

(posted from the only house on the block with a LAN -- I think!)
--
Copyright 1987 John Gilmore; you may redistribute only if your recipients may.
(This is an effort to bend Stargate to work with Usenet, not against it.)

mclean@bnrmtv.UUCP (06/05/87)

In article <234@srs.UUCP>, lee@srs.UUCP (Lee Hasiuk) writes:
> We are moving to a new building, where we are required to use 'Plenum' type
> cable for all runs which go through the suspended ceiling and not in metal
> conduit.

As I recall, there are two alternatives (depending on your local codes):

    1)  Use an open plenum return for heating and cooling but require
	such wiring to be in conduit.

    2)  Use a closed duct return for heating and cooling which allows
	open wiring of some cables, particularly twisted pair and coax.

Heavy communications environments are typically cheaper to run closed
air ducts than wire conduit.

Rick McLean
{amdahl | hplabs}!bnrmtv!mclean