[comp.dcom.lans] tcp name server software - public domain?

evans@elrond.UUCP (06/19/87)

Does anybody have, or know how I can get, a copy of a tcp name server program?
I'm told that there's a version floating around in the public domain which
conforms to the IEN116 specs.  Rand Corp. is supposed to have about the same
version, but charges for it.

Ideas anyone?

(the usual thanks in advance and all that!)

-barry
--
Barry Evans - Calcomp, A Lockheed Company, (603) 885-8025
              MailStop PTP2-2F13

guyton@randvax.UUCP (Jim Guyton) (06/21/87)

In article <970@elrond.CalComp.COM> evans@elrond.CalComp.COM (Barry Evans) writes:
>Does anybody have, or know how I can get, a copy of a tcp name server program?
>I'm told that there's a version floating around in the public domain which
>conforms to the IEN116 specs.  Rand Corp. is supposed to have about the same
>version, but charges for it.

I wrote the IEN116 server that came from Rand, and have always given
it away free to anyone that asked for it.  We do charge a handling fee
for our E/MH tape, but the name server was such a quick hack that
it's not even included on that tape!

Barry - I'm emailing it to you under separate cover; let me know
if it doesn't get to you soon.

-- Jim Guyton
   guyton@rand-unix.arpa
   randvax!guyton

p.s. strictly speaking, IEN116 name servers are UDP based, not TCP.
there is another protocol for doing name lookups with TCP, and
then there is the domain stuff ...