[comp.dcom.lans] Terminal Servers & Ethernet Xcvrs

epstein@cheshire.columbia.edu (Adam Epstein) (06/25/87)

  I'm shopping for some thin ethernet transceivers and a multi-port
tcp/ip terminal server to be used with a small number of Sun 3's.  I'm
aware that the following exist:

Xcvrs:

 Bridge ACC XCVR-TE
 Micom-Interlan U3-NT100 w/BNC tap
 TCL 2010IT
 HP ThinNet MAU

Servers:

 Bridge CS 1, 100, & 200
 TCL (maybe ?)
 Micom-Interlan NTS100/TCPFP
 Encore Annex
 Cisco ASM32

  If you have an opinion (pro or con) about any one of the above, I'd
like to hear it.  I'd also like to hear about others that I haven't
stumbled into.

  I'm not a regular reader of this newsgroup, so (even if you post
your reply) please send a copy of your thoughts to me direct.

 -Thanx
  -Adam Epstein

A-EPSTEIN@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU                       (ARPANet)
A-EPSTEIN@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU@CSNET-RELAY           (CSNet)
A-EPSTEIN%CS.COLUMBIA.EDU@WISCVM                (BITNet)
...!{seismo|topaz}!columbia!cs!a-epstein        (USENet)

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (06/26/87)

In the Thin transciever range, you've left out the DEC DESTA (probably
rightfully so, the price is a bit higher than the rest).  Note, you can
take any of the transcievers (Interlan, Chipcom, DEC, 3COM) that take the
new AMP plugon cable taps (the kind you need the cute orange wrench to
install) and get inline cable plugons that will work with them.

SERVERS:

BRIDGE:  CS series
  Bridge makes good hardware, but they don't always get the protocols
  right.  There TCP used to be pretty awful though I admit they've gotten
  better lately.  They still don't answer ICMP echos.  Also, you must either
  boot these from floppy disk or have a Bridge server box.

TCL:  Never heard of these.
Micom-Interlan:  No experience

Encore Annex:  These boxes are fairly well received.  I've heard nothing
  but good things about them and their staff has been very helpful in
  providing information.  These boxes have a couple of extra nifty
  features.  First, it does rlogin protocol (I don't really care much
  about tis) and second it has some editing features in the box.  They
  claim that they've drastically sped up GNU EMACS using this.

CISCO ASM32:  These are heavily in use here.  I strongly recommend them.
  They are available with various numberers of lines (muliples of 16)
  up to 80 (actually with their new CPU I think you could get over a
  hundred lines).  They will boot off either ROM's or you can TFTP
  download them.  Configuration is stored in non-volatile memory or
  again you can tftp download them.  Uses domain name server.

A couple you didn't mention:

Computer Machinery Corp:  They have a cute 8 line box that has the
  most innovative packaging I've seen so far.  It looks pretty much
  like a ethernet transciever with 8 RJ-11s on the side for the terminals.
  Haven't actually used one.

Ungerman/Bass NIU 180:  Eight lines only.  Certainly the most flexible one.
  Each port can be configured as in or out, each with it's own internet
  address (if you care to).  Zillions upon zillions of per port options.
  DB-25's on back can be soft switched from DTE to DCE pin outs, command
  options and binding of key sequences to various NVT chars like IP, AYT,
  EL, EC are also possible.  Uses IEN116 name server, promises domains
  in the future.  Small number of bugs still in the system.  Requires
  IBM-PC running proprietary boot server to be on same Ethernet to boot
  the thing.

-Ron

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry F Aguirre) (06/28/87)

In article <4746@columbia.UUCP> epstein@cheshire.columbia.edu (Adam Epstein) writes:
>  I'm shopping for some thin ethernet transceivers and a multi-port
>tcp/ip terminal server to be used with a small number of Sun 3's.  I'm
>aware that the following exist:
>
>Xcvrs:
>
> Bridge ACC XCVR-TE
> Micom-Interlan U3-NT100 w/BNC tap
> TCL 2010IT
> HP ThinNet MAU

You forgot the Cabletron ST-500.  I haven't used these personally but
the price and features seem right.  It is the smallest I have seen
(3.8"x3.5"x1.75") and has 5 LED indicators built in for PWR, SQE, XMT,
RCV, and CP.  It comes with screw on adaptors for either piercing, N, or
BNC connection and can be jumpered for heartbeat.

Actually the BNC option appears to be an N plugin with N to BNC adaptors
screwed on both ends (That is how it looks in the latest NMAC catalog).
This strikes me as a disadvantage.  The standard for BNC is to use the
"T" connector that allows connecting and disconnecting without
interrupting the network.  While you could replace the transceiver by
disconnecting the tap module, you could only replace it with a symilar
transceiver, not a PC or transceiver using a "T" connector.

I was also told that the Cabletron unit used the same cable tap as
Interlan so you could unscrew an Interlan unit from its tap and repleace
it with a Cabletron transceiver.

They also have thin net repeaters, multiport transceivers, etc.  I have
their MT800 which is like a DEC DELNI except it has the LED indicators
and I am pleased with it.

I have used the 3Com "black brick" transceivers and had good reliability.
I have also seen a new smaller 3Com unit with the removable tap but have
not seen any specifications or pricing for it.

The phone number for Cabletron is (408) 986-0566.

				Jerry Aguirre

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (07/11/87)

Oh boy, another TCP vendor discussion.

In article <12962@topaz.rutgers.edu> ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>BRIDGE:  CS series
>  Bridge makes good hardware, but they don't always get the protocols
>  right.  There TCP used to be pretty awful though I admit they've gotten
>  better lately.  They still don't answer ICMP echos.  Also, you must either
>  boot these from floppy disk or have a Bridge server box.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they make good hardware; I know they
don't have acceptable diagnostics for their GS/3 series. We just
recently had a nasty problem with their V.35 interface cards. We have
a few which pass the diagnostics but don't work. Bridge Comm doesn't
have loopback tests.

I know the guys working on the terminal server protocols and have high
hopes for them (if management doesn't get in their way). The last time
I talked to them (three weeks ago) they had just implemented ICMP.
(it's about time, Bridge Comm!) But, the future of their gateway
products (internet routers) is less clear.  They've made some promises
but they've already broken one promise to test their releases before
inflicting them on us.

It used to be that if your routers had one high speed line and one low
speed line between them, their software would ignore the low speed
line as long as the high speed line worked. That meant we were paying
AT&T $1,400 per month per site to whistle at us. We asked BCI to test
their software with dirty phone lines before releasing it to us and
they agreed. We get release 11000 and it uses both lines as promised.

It uses both lines even when one is dirty. When our low speed line got
dirty (which happens about once a week), things fell apart. Well, they
finally admitted they didn't test the release with dirty lines like
they promised. Their software kept resending over the dirty line
instead of doing something intelligent like using the good line.

>Micom-Interlan:  No experience

I saw one at a trade show and it had some neat stuff in the way of
statistics information but their ideas on network management weren't
well developed.

>Encore Annex:  These boxes are fairly well received.  I've heard nothing
>  but good things about them and their staff has been very helpful

Same here. I've tried it and liked it. But they don't have any
gateways.  Cisco has a more complete product line and we are
evaluating them.

>Computer Machinery Corp:  They have a cute 8 line box that has the
>  most innovative packaging I've seen so far.  It looks pretty much
>  like a ethernet transciever with 8 RJ-11s on the side for the terminals.
>  Haven't actually used one.

Here's a company who seems to only want to sell you one box. The
reason I say that is because each box has to be individually
programmed to know the names and internet addresses of your hosts. As
we have over a hundred hosts, that's a lot of typing. Arpanet sites
will like this style of network management even more. (sarcasm, if you
don't recognize it) The sales drone I talked to didn't seem to think
name server support was important. I didn't even ask about routing
protocol support.

--
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

phil@amdcad.UUCP (07/11/87)

In article <1673@oliveb.UUCP> jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry F Aguirre) writes:
>You forgot the Cabletron ST-500.  I haven't used these personally but
>the price and features seem right.  It is the smallest I have seen
>(3.8"x3.5"x1.75") and has 5 LED indicators built in for PWR, SQE, XMT,
>RCV, and CP.  It comes with screw on adaptors for either piercing, N, or
>BNC connection and can be jumpered for heartbeat.

I would like to emphasize how useful the LEDs are. I thought they were
a bit of fluff at first but they once helped me solve a nasty problem
and I wouldn't be without them for the world now.

Besides, it makes me feel good to know I'm not giving as much money to
a company like DEC with proprietary terminal server protocols like
LAT. The Cabletron transceivers work great.

(I speak only for myself, not my company.)
--
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com