[comp.dcom.lans] IEEE 802.4 Performance Issues

asheem@mandrill.UUCP (08/27/87)

Hi,

   Does anyone know of any LAN analyzers for IEEE 802.4 Token Bus
based networks ? Also, what are some of the important parameters that one
should measure for IEEE 802.4 performance ? For those of you who actually
run IEEE 802.4 based networks, what features would you like to see in
a IEEE 802.4 LAN Analyzer ?

  I'm programming a simulation of IEEE 802.4 networks, and am now trying to
define some performance parameters that should be measured, and want to
make sure that I don't miss any of the important ones.

  If there is enough interest, I will summarize to the net.

  Thanks in advance for your help !

  Asheem Chandna,
  Graduate Student,
  Computer Engineering,
  Case Western Reserve University.

  ARPA: asheem@cwru.edu     CSNET: asheem@case.csnet
  UUCP: {decvax, cbosgd, sun}!mandrill!asheem

fred@rover.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) (08/28/87)

In article <2233@mandrill.UUCP> asheem@cwruecmp.UUCP (Asheem Chandna) writes:
>   Does anyone know of any LAN analyzers for IEEE 802.4 Token Bus
>based networks ? Also, what are some of the important parameters that one
>should measure for IEEE 802.4 performance ? For those of you who actually
>run IEEE 802.4 based networks, what features would you like to see in
>a IEEE 802.4 LAN Analyzer ?

try Motorola's Token Bus Frame Analyzer (TBFA).  call 512-440-2000
and ask for Rhonda Alexis.  there's also TokenScope from Concord
Communications.
--
Fred Christiansen ("Canajun, eh?")     | seismo!noao!mcdsun!nud!fred (ARPA gate)
Motorola Microcomputer Div., Tempe, AZ |       utzoo!mnetor!mot!fred

jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (09/01/87)

In article <2233@mandrill.UUCP> asheem@cwruecmp.UUCP (Asheem Chandna) writes:
|   Does anyone know of any LAN analyzers for IEEE 802.4 Token Bus
|based networks ? Also, what are some of the important parameters that one
|should measure for IEEE 802.4 performance ? For those of you who actually
|run IEEE 802.4 based networks, what features would you like to see in
|a IEEE 802.4 LAN Analyzer ?

Try Network General's Sniffer.  (408) 734-0464.

Jerry Whitnell                           It's a damn poor mind that can only
Communication Solutions, Inc.            think of one way to spell a word.
						-- Andrew Jackson