[comp.dcom.lans] Transceiver cable differences

giebelhaus@hi-csc.UUCP (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) (09/13/87)

Does anyone know of a good way of telling Ethernet transceiver
cables apart.  Reading the spicifications, I can see how
version 1, version 2, and 802.3 are different, but I have a
pile of cables and I need to identify them.  It would be best
if I could do this without tearing the cables apart.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

UUCP: {uunet, ihnp4!umn-cs}!hi-csc!giebelhaus
Arpa: Giebelhaus@HI-MULTICS.ARPA

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (09/14/87)

It was my impression that 802.3 and Version 2 cables were identical and
Version 1 cables differ only in conductor size.

-Ron

hobson@aramis.rutgers.edu (Kevin Hobson) (09/14/87)

From Cabletron Systems literature:

		V1.0		V2.0			IEEE 802.3
Transceiver	(3)22 AWG pairs	(4)20 AWG pairs		(4)20 AWG pairs
Cable		pairs		Inner & Outer shield	Inner & Outer shield
		(1)20 AWG	common at backshell	isolated from each
		Inner & Outer	and pin 1		other
		shield common				Other shield at
		at backshell				backshell inside
		and pin 1				at pin 4
							Indented Male
							connector for better
							electrical connection

If I see, on the male end of cable, pin 4, I assume it IEEE 802.3
transceiver cable. Otherwise, I assume version 1 or 2 cable. I use a
Cabletron LAN-MD if I not sure and I want to test the cable integrity
without opening the hoods.

No, I do not work for Cabletron but a satisfied customer.
--
- Kevin Hobson
- ARPA: hobson@rutgers.edu

carey@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu (09/14/87)

What are the differences?  We have used all sorts of generations
of cables with all the different types of transceivers, and have
never found a problem which could be attributed to a compatibility
mismatch of cables and transceivers.

bob@uhmanoa.UUCP (Bob Cunningham) (09/14/87)

Apropos of transceiver cable questions:  In making up one's own, what is
the proper cable to use? Belden 9891 or 9892?

Bob Cunningham
bob@loihi.hig.hawaii.edu  or  ...nosc!humu!uhmanoa!loihi!bob
--
Bob Cunningham
bob@hig.hawaii.edu

steve@gec-mi-at.co.uk (Steve Lademann) (10/12/87)

We have recently experienced some problems with a BICC/ISOLAN fan-out
unit (DELNI equivalent). We had a 15 metre, unterminated transceiver cable
attached to said fan-out unit which went close to some high frequency
electrical noise (well, an LSI-11/73 computer system actually - the
DEQNA which the cable was originally attached to was having the anti-hang
ECO applied to it, but that's another story). At odd times, the fan-out
unit sprayed random garbage onto the Ethernet, causing Havoc. The Ethernet
on this site is fairly extensive, so finding the problem was not easy.
ISOLAN/BICC told us that the problem was due to the cable being Series 2
not 802.3. However, substituting a DELNI for the ISOLAN box cured the problem.

Now, the net effect is that I've got the distinct impression that I've had
the wool pulled over my eyes. Any netlander care to comment?

|Steve Lademann		|Phone: 44 727 59292 x326		|
|Marconi Instruments Ltd|UUCP : ...mcvax!ukc!hrc63!miduet!steve	|
|St. Albans    AL4 0JN	|NRS  : steve@uk.co.gec-mi-at		|

mwn@ufcsg.cis.ufl.EDU (Michael Nora) (10/15/87)

In article <766@gec-mi-at.co.uk>, steve@gec-mi-at.co.uk (Steve Lademann) writes

> At odd times, the fan-out
> unit sprayed random garbage onto the Ethernet, causing Havoc. The Ethernet
> on this site is fairly extensive, so finding the problem was not easy.
> ISOLAN/BICC told us that the problem was due to the cable being Series 2
> not 802.3. However, substituting a DELNI for the ISOLAN box cured the problem
>
> Now, the net effect is that I've got the distinct impression that I've had
> the wool pulled over my eyes. Any netlander care to comment?

There are differences in the cables. We have Chipcom Broadband Ethernet modems
in use on this campus, and the following is excerpted from Technical Tip 87-003
issued by Chipcom Corp.

   There are a few subtle differences in the AUI transceiver cables in use
   today. These differences occurred because there are three Ethernet
   standards, V1.0, V2.0, and 802.3.

   1. In version 802.3, all shields of the individual signal and power pairs
      are connected to pin 4. The overall AUI cable shield is connected to the
      AUI connector shell to provide a cable ground. Pin 1 is not used.

   2. In version 2.0, all shields are connected to pin 1 and the AUI connector
      shell. Pin 4 is not used. Most Ethernet cables are built this way.

   3. In version 1.0, shielding of individual signal or power pairs was not
      required since most controllers and transceivers were DC-coupled. The
      overall AUI cable shield provided for shielding and grounding and was
      connected to pin 1 and the AUI connector shell. In practice, most
      Ethernet V1.0 equipment used version 2.0 cables due to cross talk
      problems created by the lack of individual shielding for the pairs.

   Also, since the 802.3 AUI cables provide an isolated ground shield from the
   signal and power pairs shields, these cables provide additional noise
   immunity in noisy operating environments.

Maybe the ISOLAN equipment you have requires the version 802.3 cable. All of
the DEC equipment I've seen used the version 2.0 cables. This may be why the
DELNI works and the ISOLAN doesn't. Open the shells on your transceiver
cables, and if they are grounded to pin 1, try moving them to pin 4 and see
if that cures your problem. Hope this helps out.

--
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
Michael Nora                    Internet:  mwn@beach.cis.ufl.edu

mam@philabs.Philips.Com (Mark A. Maxwell) (10/19/87)

In article <766@gec-mi-at.co.uk> steve@gec-mi-at.co.uk (Steve Lademann) writes:
>We have recently experienced some problems with a BICC/ISOLAN fan-out
>unit (DELNI equivalent). We had a 15 metre, unterminated transceiver cable
>attached to said fan-out unit which went close to some high frequency
>electrical noise (well, an LSI-11/73 computer system actually - the
> The Ethernet >on this site is fairly extensive, so finding the problem
> was not easy.
>ISOLAN/BICC told us that the problem was due to the cable being Series 2
>not 802.3. However, substituting a DELNI for the ISOLAN box cured the problem.
>
>Now, the net effect is that I've got the distinct impression that I've had
>the wool pulled over my eyes. Any netlander care to comment?
>
>|Steve Lademann		|Phone: 44 727 59292 x326		|
>|Marconi Instruments Ltd|UUCP : ...mcvax!ukc!hrc63!miduet!steve	|

 We also have a highly populated backbone with an odd assortment of
 transeivers and MTU's.  The BICC type mentioned above are in use and were
 purchase because the DELNI units had caused some connectivity timeout
 problems.  I have noticed that when attached to a Bridge IB/2 internetwork
 bridge the BICC Fanouts do some times cause packets to bounce around or some
 how generate broadcast packets on other systems.  I say its a toss up..
 It seems that they both have their own short comings depending on a lot
 of variables, so in the end it pays to have both types around an used which
 ever box seems to work in a given application.

 + Mark

--
itzzall4phun- Olin Mann   {ihnp4,uunet}!philabs!mam   philips laboratories

hedrick@topaz.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (10/21/87)

We use TCL multiport boxes quite extensively.  We have never had any
problems due to them.  They are a bit bigger than some of the newer
boxes, and maybe slightly more expensive, but we have our suspicions
that they are also more solid.