[comp.dcom.lans] A handful of 802.X questions

morgan@navajo (Bob Morgan) (10/23/87)

In the wake of the IP-over-802 draft RFC, I'd like to ask a few
questions:

1.  Is any network anywhere using 802.2 over 802.3?  Does anyone
running a large Inter-Ethernet have any plans to move to 802.2 over
802.3?

2.  Is there any published justification for the use of source routing
in IBM's bridging of token-rings, given its apparent violation of the
network/logical-link/MAC layering principles?  Can anyone anywhere
defend it?

3.  Is anyone anywhere doing MAC-level interconnection of token-ring
and Ethernet/802.3 networks?

4.  Has the 802.1 committee published anything about what it is up to?

5.  Is SNAP an official part of 802.2?  Is there anything written down
about it anywhere?  It's not in my copy of 802.2.

I've got lots more, but those will do for now.

In wonderment,

- RL "Bob" Morgan
  Networking Systems
  Stanford University
  morgan@jessica.stanford.edu

skip@ubvax.UB.Com (Stayton D Addison Jr) (10/28/87)

In article <12030@labrea.STANFORD.EDU> morgan@jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) writes:
>In the wake of the IP-over-802 draft RFC, I'd like to ask a few
>questions:
>
>1.  Is any network anywhere using 802.2 over 802.3?  Does anyone
>running a large Inter-Ethernet have any plans to move to 802.2 over
>802.3?

UB's Token Ring - Ethernet Data Link Bridge puts the 802.5 packets on the
802.3 network, 802.2 LLC headers and all.

My incomplete understanding is that HP's TCP/IP implementation uses 802.3,
not Ethernet.  I don't know whether they use the 802.2 LLC headers.

>2.  Is there any published justification for the use of source routing
>in IBM's bridging of token-rings, given its apparent violation of the
>network/logical-link/MAC layering principles?  Can anyone anywhere
>defend it?

Without endorsing the concept, I can repeat what I understand to be the
primary argument.  For security or other considerations (error rates, etc),
a node may want to direct the flow of its packets thru the internetwork to
avoid certain routes/links.  In practice, I doubt many nodes have or will
ever do this.

>3.  Is anyone anywhere doing MAC-level interconnection of token-ring
>and Ethernet/802.3 networks?

Yes.  Ungermann-Bass has announced an 802.3-802.5 Data Link Bridge.
It doesn't do anything with Ethernet frames, however; just 802.3 (unless
the frames are from Ungermann-Bass equipment).  The problem is mainly the
ETYPE field which can not be derived from anything in the 802.5 header.

>4.  Has the 802.1 committee published anything about what it is up to?

I don't attend the meetings, but I understand that rev B of the 802.1
internetworking draft standard was published in March.  It was to be voted
on about now, I think.

>5.  Is SNAP an official part of 802.2?  Is there anything written down
>about it anywhere?  It's not in my copy of 802.2.

Don't know.

>I've got lots more, but those will do for now.
>
>In wonderment,
>
>- RL "Bob" Morgan
>  Networking Systems
>  Stanford University
>  morgan@jessica.stanford.edu

-- Skip Addison
   {lll-crg, decwrl, ihnp4}!amdcad!cae780!ubvax!skip
   or sun!amd!ubvax!skip