[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet protocol numbers

zeilenga@hc.dspo.gov (Kurt Zeilenga) (09/01/87)

We are writing some Ethernet tools and have an incomplete
list of protocols.  Two unknown protocols, 0x9002 and 0x8038,
are flying across our backbone.  0x9002 appear to be coming
from Bridge CS/100 terminal servers and 0x8038 by VMS systems.
Any numbers (for ethernet protocols or protocols running on top
of ethernet would be greatly appreciated) you could provide
would be greatly appreciated.  Here is what we have to date:

      0x0200: XEROX PUP
      0x0201: PUP Addr. Trans.
      0x0600: XNS
      0x0800: IP
      0x0801: X.75 Internet
      0x0802: NBS Internet
      0x0803: ECMA Internet
      0x0804: Chaosnet
      0x0805: X.25 Level 3
      0x0806: ARP
      0x0807: XNS Compatability
      0x081C: Symbolics
      0x1001: IP_trailer_1_block
      0x1002: IP_trailer_2_block
      0x1003: IP_trailer_3_block
      0x1004: IP_trailer_4_block
      0x1005: IP_trailer_5_block
      0x1006: IP_trailer_6_block
      0x1007: IP_trailer_7_block
      0x1008: IP_trailer_8_block
      0x1009: IP_trailer_9_block
      0x100a: IP_trailer_10_block
      0x100b: IP_trailer_11_block
      0x100c: IP_trailer_12_block
      0x100d: IP_trailer_13_block
      0x100e: IP_trailer_14_block
      0x100f: IP_trailer_15_block
      0x6002: DEC_MOP
      0x6003: Decnet
      0x6004: DEC_LAT
      0x8003: Cronus VLN
      0x8004: Cronus Direct
      0x8006: Nestar
      0x8010: Excelan
      0x8035: RARP
      0x8038: unknown (DEC?)
      0x9000: Loopback
      0x9002: unknown (Bridge)

We all have most of the IP numbers, working on XNS and DEC numbers,
others are not used here so....

	Kurt Zeilenga	 (zeilenga@hc.dspo.gov)

sung@mcnc.UUCP (Wayne Sung) (09/01/87)

8080 - Vitalink bridge management
9001 - Bridge bridge management
9002 - Bridge terminal servers
809B - Kinetics Appletalk-Ethernet
8038 - DEC Debet bridge management
6001 - DEC remote load request

normt@ihlpa.UUCP (09/01/87)

In article <14440@hi.UUCP>, zeilenga@hc.dspo.gov (Kurt Zeilenga) writes:
> We are writing some Ethernet tools and have an incomplete
> list of protocols.  Two unknown protocols, 0x9002 and 0x8038,
> are flying across our backbone.  0x9002 appear to be coming
> from Bridge CS/100 terminal servers and 0x8038 by VMS systems.
>
> We all have most of the IP numbers, working on XNS and DEC numbers,
> others are not used here so....
>
> 	Kurt Zeilenga	 (zeilenga@hc.dspo.gov)

From the incomplete list that I have, 0x8038 is for DEC LanBridge-100's.
I don't know what exactly it is used for, but it is known. 0x9002 is
unknown to me. My list also shows a slight difference for 0x6001 and 0x6002.

I have 6001 being Decnet MOP (Dump/Load assistance) and
0x6002 as NCP Connect (Remote Console facility).

	I'm not sure if these are the same as yours, as far as true meaning
	or not.

If you ever get a complete list (shouldn't this be available from someone)
could you please either submit it to the net or at  least mail me a copy.

	Thanks;

	Norm Tiedemann		Room IH 2G-331
	ihnp4!ihlpa!normt	AT&T Bell Labs
				Naperville, IL
					 60566

randy@uw-june.UUCP (William Randy Day) (10/27/87)

In looking at the ethernet packets flying across our network, I've
discovered some ethernet protocol (ether type fields) that I
don't recognize. The protocol numbers I do recognize are:

      0x0200: XEROX PUP
      0x0201: PUP Addr. Trans.
      0x0600: XNS
      0x0800: IP
      0x0801: X.75 Internet
      0x0802: NBS Internet
      0x0803: ECMA Internet
      0x0804: Chaosnet
      0x0805: X.25 Level 3
      0x0806: ARP
      0x0807: XNS Compatability
      0x081C: Symbolics
      0x1001: IP_trailer_1_block
      0x1002: IP_trailer_2_block
      0x1003: IP_trailer_3_block
      0x1004: IP_trailer_4_block
      0x1005: IP_trailer_5_block
      0x1006: IP_trailer_6_block
      0x1007: IP_trailer_7_block
      0x1008: IP_trailer_8_block
      0x1009: IP_trailer_9_block
      0x100a: IP_trailer_10_block
      0x100b: IP_trailer_11_block
      0x100c: IP_trailer_12_block
      0x100d: IP_trailer_13_block
      0x100e: IP_trailer_14_block
      0x100f: IP_trailer_15_block
      0x6001: DEC remote load request
      0x6002: DEC_MOP
      0x6003: Decnet
      0x6004: DEC_LAT
      0x8003: Cronus VLN
      0x8004: Cronus Direct
      0x8006: Nestar
      0x8010: Excelan
      0x8035: RARP
      0x8038: DEC Debet bridge management
      0x8080: Vitalink bridge management
      0x809B: Kinetics Appletalk-Ethernet
      0x9000: Loopback
      0x9001: Bridge bridge management
      0x9002: Bridge terminal servers

Two other protocol numbers have appeared with regularity:
      0x501: ?
      0x3a92: ?

Besides these, I have seen 0x38 and 0x1b, but I'm willing to believe these
are mistakes.

Does anybody know what these unknown protocol numbers refer to?

Thanks,
Randy Day.
Internet (ARPA): randy@cs.washington.edu
CSNET: randy%washington@relay.cs.net
UUCP: {decvax|ihnp4}!uw-beaver!uw-june!randy

darrelj@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Darrel VanBuer) (10/28/87)

A couple of more packet types which might show up:
0x0601  XNS address translation (should never appear since 3 MB net only)
0x0a00  Xerox PUP (new 802.3 compatible encapsulation)
0x0a01  PUP Addr. Trans. (for 802.3)
--
Darrel J. Van Buer, PhD; unisys; 2525 Colorado Ave; Santa Monica, CA 90406
(213)829-7511 x5449        KI6VY        darrel@CAM.UNISYS.COM   or

jh@tut.fi (Juha Hein{nen) (10/29/87)

Instead of guessing or cathering the protocol number information one
by one, would someone close to Xerox, please, post the whole official
list as it stands now.  Is it in public domain?
--
	Juha Heinanen
	Tampere Univ. of Technology

lee@rocksanne.UUCP (Lee Moore) (11/05/87)

Xerox does keep a list of assigned numbers for the Ethernet packet types
but it's probably not what you want.

First, although Xerox does allocate Ethernet packet types, Xerox only
records the name of the requestor and the number(s) assigned to the requestor.
It does not ask the requestor what function the number(s) represent.

Furthermore, the assignee may request that Xerox not publish what numbers
a particular company has -- or even that a particular company has any numbers
at all.  For example, the list I have doesn't show any thing for DEC.
On the other hand DEC has been using several numbers for its own protocols.
I strongly suspect that they got those numbers from Xerox.  Maybe somebody
in DEC can explain why they haven't let Xerox publish which numbers they have.

In any case, even though I can tell you that 8008(16) is assigned to Stanford
University, Xerox hasn't recorded what that type is used for.  (from a

Similarly, I can tell you that 807D to 8080 (16) is assigned to Vitalink
Communications of Mt. View.  (from a previous message somebody said that
8080 is for bridge management).

Lee Moore
Xerox Webster Research Center
--
Lee Moore -- Xerox Webster Research Center, birthplace of the XGP
UUCP:		{seismo, allegra, decvax, cmcl2, topaz}!rochester!rocksanne!lee

cyrus@hi.UUCP (Tait Cyrus) (11/06/87)

In article <440@rocksanne.UUCP> lee@rocksanne.UUCP (Lee Moore) writes:
>Xerox does keep a list of assigned numbers for the Ethernet packet types
>but it's probably not what you want.
>
>Lee Moore
>Xerox Webster Research Center
>--
>Lee Moore -- Xerox Webster Research Center, birthplace of the XGP
>UUCP:		{seismo, allegra, decvax, cmcl2, topaz}!rochester!rocksanne!lee
>Arpa Internet:	Moore.wbst@xerox.arpa
>DDN:		+1 (716) 422-2496

Here is the list that I have.  I would greatly appreciate it if you would
notify me if there are any missing.

Thanks

0x200	XEROX PUP
0x201	PUP Addr. Trans.
0x600	XNS
0x800	IP
0x801	X.75 Internet
0x802	NBS Internet
0x803	ECMA Internet
0x804	Chaosnet
0x805	X.25 Level 3
0x806	ARP
0x807	XNS Compatability
0x81C	Symbolics
0x1001	IP_trailer_1_block
0x1002	IP_trailer_2_block
0x1003	IP_trailer_3_block
0x1004	IP_trailer_4_block
0x1005	IP_trailer_5_block
0x1006	IP_trailer_6_block
0x1007	IP_trailer_7_block
0x1008	IP_trailer_8_block
0x1009	IP_trailer_9_block
0x100a	IP_trailer_10_block
0x100b	IP_trailer_11_block
0x100c	IP_trailer_12_block
0x100d	IP_trailer_13_block
0x100e	IP_trailer_14_block
0x100f	IP_trailer_15_block
0x1600	BBN_Simnet
0x6001	DEC/DNA dump/load (MOP)
0x6002	DEC/DNA Remote Console (MOP)
0x6003	DEC/DNA Routing
0x6004	DEC Local Area Transport (LAT)
0x6005	DEC Diagnostics
0x6006	DEC Customer use
0x6007	DEC System Communication Architecture (SCA)
0x8003	Cronus VLN
0x8004	Cronus Direct
0x8005	HP Probe
0x8006	Nestar
0x8010	Excelan
0x8035	RARP
0x8038	DEC Debet bridge management
0x805b	SU_V_EXP
0x805c	SU_V
0x8080	Vitalink bridge management
0x809b	Kinetics Appletalk-Ethernet
0x9000	Loopback
0x9001	Bridge bridge management
0x9002	Bridge terminal servers
0xff00	BBN Vital

--
    @__________@    W. Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806
   /|         /|    University of New Mexico