[comp.dcom.lans] RetixGate: request for experience

ppi@santra.UUCP (Panu Pietik{inen) (11/30/87)

I saw a few weeks ago an add in Data Communications November 87
issue telling that Retix is selling a products called RetixGate.
It is a Ethernet/802.3 bridge with connections to Ethernet,
Starlan (product 2244) and ThinEthernet (product 2255). The pricing
of these products seems to be quite affordable. I called Retix
and hopefully I am going to get same more information in a couple
of days or weeks.

While I am waiting for the technical information to arrive I
would like to hear if there are any *buts* in RetixGates. My
question is: has anyone any user experience on these devices?
I am interested receiving all available comments, positive or
negative. Performance, reliability, do they work, Retix support,
how many have been installed, rumors, etc...

Please post directly to me. I will summarize and post the results
to the net.

--Panu Pietikainen
ppi@hila.hut.fi   or    ppi@fingate.BITNET   or   ppi@hila.UUCP
Helsinki University of Technology, Computing Center, Finland

pierre@imag.UUCP (Pierre LAFORGUE) (12/04/87)

In article <8945@santra.UUCP> ppi@hila.hut.fi (Panu Pietikainen) writes:
>I saw a few weeks ago an add in Data Communications November 87
>issue telling that Retix is selling a products called RetixGate.

>Please post directly to me. I will summarize and post the results
>to the net.

I apologize replying here, because I have another question to post.
We have try the RetixGate here. It works, but its throughput is too low. I have
no quantitative results, only the experience of abnormal delays from time to
time. I was said that the RetixGate was bogued and near to be fixed. Hence it
may not be only a problem of throughput.

Now, my question :
Does anybody in the netland know on the market an intelligent multi-port
repeater ?
By "intelligent", I mean a filter like the RetixGate or the DEC LanBridge.
By "multiport", I mean a repeater for some thin Ethernets and 1 or 2 thick
Ethernet transceivers, like the DEC DEMPR.
Please post directly to me. I will summarize and post the results
to the net.
Thank you in advance
--
Pierre Laforgue       pierre@imag.imag.fr      {uunet.uu.net|mcvax}!imag!pierre