[comp.dcom.lans] Long distance Ethernet Bridges

news@mfci.UUCP (Usenet) (11/11/87)

    We are using Sun's Sunlink Internet Router with some 4800 synchronous modems
to connect two ethernet networks 4.1 miles apart. We're currently using a 3002
line and this ok, but it's a bit slow.
    We've tried using higher speed modems (32k) from Avanti over LADDs lines,
but the error rate is to high. (The wire is 26 guage, and 4.1 miles dooms us
to 4800 baud)
    What other options do we have ? We could bump the 3002 line modem up to
9600 or maybe 19.2, but that's not really enough. We can't seem to get T1, so
thats out. (The town I live in will not get equal access until 199x ....)
    Does anyone know of reverse multiplexing boxes which would allow
us to use multiple 9600 baud lines, to get a total agrregate through put
greater than 9600 baud ?

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
----
Tan Bronson
Multiflow Computer Inc  UUCP(work): {yale,uunet}!mfci!bronson
175 N Main St 		UUCP(home): {yale,mfci}!bronson!tan
Branford, Ct 06405	Phone(work):(203)-488-6090 x228

melohn%sluggo@Sun.COM (Bill Melohn) (11/16/87)

In article <198@m2.mfci.UUCP> bronson@mfci.UUCP (Tan Bronson) writes:

>We are using Sun's Sunlink Internet Router with some 4800 synchronous modems
>to connect two ethernet networks 4.1 miles apart. We're currently using a 3002
>line and this ok, but it's a bit slow.
>    Does anyone know of reverse multiplexing boxes which would allow
>us to use multiple 9600 baud lines, to get a total agrregate through put
>greater than 9600 baud ?

Sunlink IR version 5.0 supports load-sharing across multiple links allowing
to do exactly what you want. It has been available for a couple of months.

satz@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Greg Satz) (11/23/87)

In article <198@m2.mfci.UUCP> bronson@mfci.UUCP (Tan Bronson) writes:

>We are using Sun's Sunlink Internet Router with some 4800 synchronous modems
>to connect two ethernet networks 4.1 miles apart. We're currently using a 3002
>line and this ok, but it's a bit slow.
>    Does anyone know of reverse multiplexing boxes which would allow
>us to use multiple 9600 baud lines, to get a total agrregate through put
>greater than 9600 baud ?

A number of companies make stand-alone level 3 gateways that will
load-share across multiple links.

Greg Satz
cisco Systems

twh@mibte.UUCP (Tim Hitchcock) (12/05/87)

In article <2264@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU>, satz@Shasta.UUCP writes:
> In article <198@m2.mfci.UUCP> bronson@mfci.UUCP (Tan Bronson) writes:
> >
> >We are using Sun's Sunlink Internet Router with some 4800 synchronous modems
> >to connect two ethernet networks 4.1 miles apart. We're currently using a 3002
> >line and this ok, but it's a bit slow.
> >    Does anyone know of reverse multiplexing boxes which would allow
> >us to use multiple 9600 baud lines, to get a total agrregate through put
> >greater than 9600 baud ?
>
> A number of companies make stand-alone level 3 gateways that will
> load-share across multiple links.
>
> Greg Satz
> cisco Systems

It is expensive, but you may want to check out AT&T's ISN
(Information Systems Network, not to be confused with ISDN).

It will bridge 10 MBPS Ethernets (as well as Starlan, Asyn and Sync)
over local or wide areas. You can use unshielded twisted pair or fiber.
At < 5 miles you can run fiber to get ISN throughput of 5.6 MBPS.