[comp.dcom.lans] LAN print problems with Lotus 1-2-3

David_J_Buerger@cup.portal.com (12/08/87)

I've had a devil of a time getting Lotus 1-2-3 to print on
a Novell LAN.  Mind you, this is only text!  We've got a bunch
of PCs on ethernet, with a serial Diablo 630 at the network
printer.  There are a few Okidata 192's attached locally.  We
have Network Assistant too.

Anyone got any brilliant schemes here?  (We have legal copies
for everyone, so....)

dbuerger@scu.bitnet

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (12/10/87)

In article <1857@cup.portal.com>, David_J_Buerger@cup.portal.com writes:
> I've had a devil of a time getting Lotus 1-2-3 to print on
> a Novell LAN.
What (the devil) happens when you try to print?  What is the
failure?  In our limited experience with MS-DOS networked printers,
we find that if an application writes to stdprn, it is writing to a
spool file on the network print server's disk.  When the application
program terminates, MS-DOS catches the termination signal, and sends
a signal to the print server telling it to close the spool file and
queue the print job.  If the application program finishes writing to
stdprn but doesn't specifically close the output file, and doesn't
return control to MS-DOS, then the spool file remains open, and no
printing occurs until the application actually exits.

If this is what's happening, try a Shift-Control-PrtSc.  I'm not
familiar with Novell, but on AT&T Starlan, that causes the stdprn
output to be flushed and printed without waiting for the process to
terminate.
--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		A node for news.

steve@aardvark.UUCP (Steve Willoughby) (12/14/87)

-In article <301@westmark.UUCP> dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:
->In article <1857@cup.portal.com>, David_J_Buerger@cup.portal.com writes:
->...
->> I've had a devil of a time getting Lotus 1-2-3 to print on
->> a Novell LAN.
->
->...we find that if an application writes to stdprn, it is writing to a
->spool file on the network print server's disk....
->If the application program finishes writing to
->stdprn but doesn't specifically close the output file, and doesn't
->return control to MS-DOS, then the spool file remains open, and no
->printing occurs until the application actually exits.
->
->If this is what's happening, try a Shift-Control-PrtSc.  I'm not
->familiar with Novell, but on AT&T Starlan, that causes the stdprn
->output to be flushed and printed without waiting for the process to
->terminate.

For Novell, you might make sure you are starting off with
the SPOOL command (which routes stdprn (LPT1) requests
to a network printer spooler.

Make sure that when your application finishes, you issue the
ENDSPOOL command at the DOS prompt.  Hopefully this
will start the output printing on the network printer.

Hope this helps

--steve

Steve Willoughby       |  "You will, I am sure, agree with me that if page
...ihnp4!tektronix!    |  534 finds us only in the second chapter, the length
tessi!aardvark!steve   |  of the first one must have been really intolerable."
                                -- Sherlock Holmes, in The Valley of Fear