[comp.dcom.lans] LAN security screw-ups

David_J_Buerger@cup.portal.com (12/08/87)

Aside from standard password schemes, directory rights, etc.,
what do some of your LAN managers do to keep security tight on
your systems?  Do old employees try to sneak in a mess things up?
How good are users at logging off when they walk away from their
desks?  How do you deal with asynch dial up requests?  Is it a
Pandora's Box re the security issue?

dbuerger@scu.bitnet

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (12/15/87)

In article <1858@cup.portal.com> David_J_Buerger@cup.portal.com writes:

>Aside from standard password schemes, directory rights, etc.,
>what do some of your LAN managers do to keep security tight on
>your systems?  Do old employees try to sneak in a mess things up?
>How good are users at logging off when they walk away from their
>desks?  How do you deal with asynch dial up requests?  Is it a
>Pandora's Box re the security issue?

	The question as stated is a host security issue.  I
differentiate between "login" or "host" security and network security.
I don't know whether David intended the distinction.  As a network
manager I assume the presence of good host security and will work
together with any sa to fix those kind of problems.  A typical example
is a host without good hardware connect/disconnect signaling on our
terminal network.  A user-initiated forced disconnect can leave a
session hanging.  Beyond these kind of technical issues I do not worry
about login security, or user file permissions or linked files.

	But, yes, network security is a Pandora's Box.  There was a
discussion [was it here on this group?] not long ago when I made the
rash statement that network security was not yet an issue.  Several
people took pains to set me right, as you may recall.
	The best responses that I saw mentioned routers and bridges as
a necessary first step toward good network management and security.
David Wasley, among others, described how he had set up dual Ethernets
with one secure (relatively) and the other untrusted.  I myself am
looking for a way to allow academic staff to use their academic
workstations for administrative functions.  This would require that
both secure and untrusted sessions occur over the same ethernet.
	Someone from Athena said that they were going to release their
validation protocol, Kerebos, to the public.  This protocol, if
released, will be the best thing since X windows out of Athena.  It
validates resource access, including login, with encrypted exchanges
between workstation and validation server.  I think they said that
currently they did not encrypt sessions, but their current
functionality protects passwords.  I think that Kerebos, adopted as a
standard, is the next best thing to session encryption and will
satisfy security requirements for many for a while.
	Someone else ominously stated that they had a way (which they
could not reveal) to thwart routers, but I do not know what kind of
threat that is to router-based networks.  Those kind of statements,
including one person who said for $1.98 he had set up a Lan analyzer
and sucked off all the e-mail traffic for an afternoon, worry me a
little.  (a lot  :-)
	Ungermann-Bass recently announced at their user group meeting
a DES hardware session encryption NIU with an access key, a literal
key for a box on the NIU that enabled access.  This sounds like the
way to go for secure sessions with good interactive performance.
Their box doesn't scramble all the headers, only the data or all but
the Ethernet headers.  I haven't analyzed the situation enough to know
just how many headers you can leave in the clear but I imagine you
could just encrypt data within IP, if necessary.  It depends on
whether you use bridges or routers.  Perhaps other vendors are working
on encrypted session hardware, too.
	I would like to see Kerebos for login security on all our
host logins.  I would also like to have the DES hardware for selected
pieces of equipment.  Perhaps someday Sun will install DES chips in
their servers and workstations and we can encrypt all the sessions
when we want to.  Meanwhile, judicious use of bridges and routers and
careful watching will have to do.
     Kent W. England                      |       Boston University
     Network & Systems Engineering Group  |       Information Technology
     kwe@bu-it.bu.edu        internet     |       111 Cummington Street
     itkwe@bostonu           BITnet       |       Boston, MA      02215
     harvard!bu-cs!kwe       UUCP         |       (617) 353-2780

wesommer@athena.mit.edu (William Sommerfeld) (12/15/87)

In article <17429@bu-cs.BU.EDU> kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) writes:
>	Someone from Athena said that they were going to release their
>validation protocol, Kerebos, to the public.  This protocol, if
>released, will be the best thing since X windows out of Athena.

Nit 1: 'X Windows' is poor usage; the proper term for it is 'X' or
'The X Window system'.

Nit 2: The authentication system is spelled "Kerberos" (the Greek
spelling of Cerberus), after the three-headed dog guarding Hades in
Greek mythology.

Kerberos itself is only an authentication protocol; the authentication
protocol provides a way for a client of a service to prove that it
really is who it claims to be.  This is done through the use of some
simple cryptographic techniques; the end result of a successful
exchange is that both client and service have their hands on a session
key which they can use to encrypt further traffic.  Most applications
don't, but some (especially the service which provides a way for
someone to change their Kerberos password) do encrypt their
transactions, and are quite paranoid about what they find...

Kerberos is not a replacement for session encryption; it is instead a
way to distribute session keys (which, if you want to do session
encryption, you have to find a way to do).

Last I heard, the release of a beta-test version of Kerberos should
come some time in February or March.

					Bill Sommerfeld
					wesommer@athena.mit.edu
					MIT Project Athena